Grub change suggestion [SOLVED]

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
bogdansima
Level 1
Level 1

Grub change suggestion [SOLVED]

Post by bogdansima »

Hi people!
I had an old laptop with integrated graphics card. All the versions tries installed with no problem, until I've changed the laptop with a new one. Any of the releases did not allow me to boot either from DVD or USB drive showing two simptoms during booting process either freezing at the message "iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Unsupported splx structure", or at the message "gpu-manager freezes more than 120 seconds". After almost an hour of looping the process of searching on the internet > trial > error I have found the solution and everything worked smoothly.

The solution was to edit the <linux> line in the grub menu and to replace <<quiet spash -->> with <<nomodeset>> and than reboot.

In my case the error was because the computer came with a dedicated graphic card. Taking in consideration that most of the computers have a dedicated graphic card maybe is better to include in the grub command the parameter <nomodeset> instead of <quiet spash --> and then the user will install the proper driver. Making this change will save countless hours worldwide for every user that upgrade the hardware to a newer version, or install a new graphic card.
Last edited by bogdansima on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Grub change suggestion

Post by Moem »

Bogdansima, I've split off your post from the previous topic because it had nothing to do with that topic. Please start a new topic, using the 'New Topic' button found in every forum section, and not the 'Post Reply' button if you aren't replying to something that someone else has posted. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”