Common nomenclature for "File Manager".

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Common nomenclature for "File Manager".

Post by Wompoo »

I am no longer a beginner. However, as a beginner, it took me a long time to find the File Manager in more than one version of Linux Mint when asked to do so. Furthermore, when I asked on more than one thread as a beginner, where was the File Manager in my particular operating system, the question went unanswered more than once. In fact, I don't think it was ever answered until I contacted one of the administrators directly and conveyed that I still did not know.

I would be embarrassed to admit how long this took me to sort out.

This is my suggestion:

Clearly name whichever file manager that is employed by what ever Linux version as "File Manager". In my experience, it has been called variously: "Caja", "Nemo", the latter is found in the system tray panel with the title "Files".

Not : "File Manager".

Or:
Adopt a more beginner friendly approach to such banal questions if and when they are posed by beginners. Beginners are just that; they need assistance with the basics.

I have no doubt that this will seems trivial to the experienced Linux users. However, as a beginner, it caused me a great deal of frustration and wasted time. There were times when it made my head spin and I considered opting out.
This seems to me to be a very small request.

Apart from this small problem, I have found the forums and the responses to my basic question very good and most helpful. Some of the threads have been extensive and exhausting on the patience of the respondents. But we always got there in the end.
I hope this suggestion is received as a positive way, which is my intention.

Thanks for reading this post.
Jim.
Desktop PC #2
Linux Mint 19 KDE desktop (64-bit), Asus
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Common nomenclature for "File Manager".

Post by jimallyn »

Sounds reasonable to me. This has never been a problem for me, as I always click on the icon in the panel (left side) that looks like a file folder. But I'm not sure that is the same in all versions of Mint. I am often amazed at how often otherwise bright engineers can get user interface wrong. (And how reluctant they can be to accept suggestions from the people who actually use their creations.)

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for the supportive reply Jim.
Desktop PC #2
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

jimallyn wrote:I always click on the icon in the panel (left side) that looks like a file folder. But I'm not sure that is the same in all versions of Mint.
It's the same for Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce; they all have a panel launcher by default to browse your files. Only KDE doesn't have panel launchers I think.
jimallyn wrote:I am often amazed at how often otherwise bright engineers can get user interface wrong. (And how reluctant they can be to accept suggestions from the people who actually use their creations.)
I don't think there is a right and wrong when people have a vision and work towards implementing it. They may do things differently than you are accustomed to or comfortable with, but that doesn't make it wrong just because they didn't do what you wanted them to do. You are one voice; there are other voices; not everybody will agree and ultimately compromises will have to be made.
Wompoo wrote:Clearly name whichever file manager that is employed by what ever Linux version as "File Manager". In my experience, it has been called variously: "Caja", "Nemo", the latter is found in the system tray panel with the title "Files".
In Cinnamon it is called Files (Nemo). In MATE it is called File Browser (Caja). In KDE it is called File Manager (Dolphin). In Xfce it is called File Manager (Thunar). On any edition opening your menu and typing "file" finds you the program you're looking for.

While I get the frustration finding your way around a new operating system I don't agree different programs with the same function should necessarily all be named or described the same (or that it would be handy, considering there are users that have multiple file managers installed — a problem Cinnamon users already face if they install Nautilus which is also "Files" in your menu). On my Samsung Android phone it is called "My Files". I think Apple iOS doesn't have a file manager by default. Isn't it called Explorer on Windows? On macOS it is called Finder. And there are thousands of alternatives across all operating systems for managing your files, most of them being a file manager but not named as such.

In any case, apart from Cinnamon's "Files" Nemo these programs aren't developed or named by Linux Mint.

Isn't your frustration about the file managers a more general observation on the lack of a concise introduction for new users of the various desktop environments to get them started with common tasks? Do I spot an opportunity where you could contribute :)

Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wompoo »

xenopeek wrote:.......................................................................

Isn't your frustration about the file managers a more general observation on the lack of a concise introduction for new users of the various desktop environments to get them started with common tasks?...
Yes! That is what I was trying to express. Or what I meant to express. That combined with the suggestion that a common "tag" or sub-name for whatever version of File Manager is used be included somewhere in the nomenclature of desktop. Something like I understand is done in the KDE desktop. (Dolphin File Manager).
Do I spot an opportunity where you could contribute :).............................................
I thought I was doing that here.
Not so?
Desktop PC #2
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

deleted

Post by deleted »

In KDE when you click on the "K" and type "file" (without the quotes), Dolphin is the top item.
-H

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Wompoo wrote:
Do I spot an opportunity where you could contribute :).............................................

I thought I was doing that here.
Not so?
Yes but I meant it could also be you that starts writing a general introduction for common tasks on Cinnamon / MATE / KDE / Xfce to benefit new users. Perhaps pick one and call on the community for feedback and others to help rewrite the text for the others. Some information on Cinnamon is covered in the "Introduction to the Desktop" chapter in the user guide (https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php) but I think this isn't focused enough on common tasks as per what you mean.

Wompoo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for that suggestion xenopeek.
I'll have a read up on the link. More later..................
Desktop PC #2
CPU E7500, 8 Gb RAM

Desktop #1
Dell Vostro 220 64 bit.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa KDE

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

xenopeek wrote:I don't think there is a right and wrong when people have a vision and work towards implementing it. They may do things differently than you are accustomed to or comfortable with, but that doesn't make it wrong just because they didn't do what you wanted them to do.
Having watched other engineers make design decisions that I felt at the time were user-unfriendly, and then later having heard back from the customers that they also felt the design was user-unfriendly, I will have to disagree with you: there are right and wrong ways to do things.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”