How about an ebook mode?

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
noviceLinuxMint
Level 1
Level 1

How about an ebook mode?

Post by noviceLinuxMint »

How about an ebook mode? Which makes reading ebooks easier?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How about an ebook mode?

Post by Moem »

What would that look like?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

That sounds like an idea for the development of an application rather than an operating system.

noviceLinuxMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noviceLinuxMint »

I apologize for the late reply, since I lost my Mint partition I haven't been visiting this forum frequently.
Moem wrote:What would that look like?
I have no idea, but such a mode could be created, they could provide an option for a program like f.lux, and an ebook library management software, which shows the pages in the center or to the users preference, with bookmarking and highlighting tools, etc, with an option to search definitions or history of the famous phrase, etc like that, or allows the user to look up images of the things described, etc.
MintBean wrote:That sounds like an idea for the development of an application rather than an operating system.
No, I think these modes in operating system are going to become popular in the future and might be the next revolutionary thing in desktops, there are rumors that Windows 10 will have game mode.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Maybe Calibre is what you're looking for
https://www.calibre-ebook.com/
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

noviceLinuxMint wrote:
Moem wrote:What would that look like?
I have no idea, but such a mode could be created, they could provide an option for a program like f.lux, and an ebook library management software, which shows the pages in the center or to the users preference, with bookmarking and highlighting tools, etc, with an option to search definitions or history of the famous phrase, etc like that, or allows the user to look up images of the things described, etc.
How would it be different from simply using e-book reader software, such as Calibre, together with f.lux (or Redshift)? You can already do that now.
If an e-book mode simply consists of running two applications together, then I'm not really sure that we need such a thing. Maybe I'm missing something here...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

noviceLinuxMint wrote:No, I think these modes in operating system are going to become popular in the future and might be the next revolutionary thing in desktops, there are rumors that Windows 10 will have game mode.
A game mode (i.e. high performance dedicated to a single app for gaming purposes) is something that can only be provided at the OS level. Displaying an Ebook is a task
any app can implement. You have described nothing that can't be implemented in an application. Furthermore, Mint is targeted firmly as a traditional laptop and desktops OS rather than at tablets or 'the next big thing.' You may be better off with Windows or Ubuntu if you're seeking radical rather than evolutionary change.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

I use calibre for that stuff if your talking about something like kobo then it's just a matter of controlling the background tint to go easier on the eyes like kobo and font color
light grey and dark grey.
not sure how popular that would be though since most just use one of the software already out there.
Orrrrr they just go out like I did and buy a kobo for the wife :D
small, handy and holds thousands of ebooks.
if you want color then thats a whole new can of worms which calibre works just fine for.
If you want an ebook reader to change the background and font color you can learn glade and python and toss one together but it's not for the distro to do that as that is a separate project for any system to use and if it's needed and good would probably wind up in the repos for everyone to use.
Orrrrrr just put the book into libre office change the font color and background color export it as a pdf, presto done.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”