System Backup and Restore

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
chrisuk

System Backup and Restore

Post by chrisuk »

This must have been discussed many times over the years, but one thing that Windows has by default, that most Linux Distros don't, is System Restore. I must confess to never using System Restore in Windows, as I always preferred to clone Disks/Partitions, but I know many Windows users like the reassurance System Restore gives them (even though System Restore can be useless at times).

There's many ways to backup Linux, too many really, but the easiest and most reliable way that I've found is Timeshift. You can set it up to make scheduled backups and just forget about it until a Kernel update goes wrong... I don't actually use it that way, as I do backups before any updates/changes (I also use it to clone installations to other hardware), but it might be good for new users to have.

So why not have it installed and setup automatically on new Linux Mint installs?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: System Backup and Restore

Post by Pierre »

the thing is, that not enough people are using some sort of backup,
& even fewer check how the restore option, even works. :!:

for myself, I've used LuckyBackup or even just a simple file copy.
- even then I've not done it often enough.
:shock:
and when things did go bad, then the backup is an old copy of some file.
:eek:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

I'm always bewildered by the number of posts I read about "can I undo this or that". If only people learnt to backup properly before attempting the unknown!
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

i use timeshift just before i do any system changes and i have anything pictures etc backed up on an external hard drive
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

chrisuk wrote:........

So why not have it installed and setup automatically on new Linux Mint installs?
I appreciate that such programs don't come pre-installed and configured. If linux kernel will do such a function in the future, I'm okay with it. I have nothing against such programs and Timeshift is probably just the one I would use if that would be my backup method in linux, but I like to choose what and how.

Windows restore system is good and I've used it successfully. So nothing against the idea, just how it's implemented if it comes baked in. Not from outside, but inside. As in, from the same source of developers that the OS's core elements come from.
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

yes i agree it would be a great addition to the next version of linux mint
tinny123

Post by tinny123 »

guys what do u think of backintime program? which should i use timeshift or back in time? userfriendly option prefered. as close as possible to system restore in windows
corkscrew22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corkscrew22 »

With timeshift which folders do you select to back up the system configuration? I dont need all my data backed up just the system?
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

i use time-shift and it makes restore back ups to system files on your computer. it has saved me a few times as i do a manual back up every time my computer does an update.. i just select my hard drive and time-shift backs up my whole system. it does not back up any files i add, just the system files. i back up my folders etc to an external hard drive
corkscrew22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corkscrew22 »

But surley if you select your hardrive it wll backup everything for examp-le photos you have stored in your home folder? or are you saying it automatically just selects system folders and files?
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

it just selects system files, not photos, music etc, only system folders and files
corkscrew22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corkscrew22 »

Hi OK
Got that and I can use settings to exclude folders if I want
I want to change the location of where snapshots saved when I open location tab it only allows you select complete drive, is there no way to save to a dedicated folder?
screenshot of location options attached
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

i really couldn't say, i usually just use it to save using the default setting, sorry i can't help :(

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”