Chromium should be the default browser

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Houchou
Level 2
Level 2

Chromium should be the default browser

Post by Houchou » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Like the title sais, chromium should be the default browser.

I my self, i'm using Firefox, but the truth is, most people are using google chrome. So, it should be chromium.....
Last edited by Houchou on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Chromium should be the default browser

Post by Schultz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 pm

I respectfully disagree in the strongest of terms.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Houchou wrote: most people are
using google chrome
How have you got to that conclusion?

Houchou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Houchou » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:54 pm

daveinuk wrote:
Houchou wrote: most people are
using google chrome
How have you got to that conclusion?
I meant in the whole world.

In linux mint, chromium is certainly the most used. Unless they are statistics that say otherwise?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:22 pm

In linux mint, chromium is certainly the most used. Unless they are statistics that say otherwise?
You mean like this: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=237804
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Houchou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Houchou » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:51 pm

altair4 wrote:
You mean like this: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=237804
Interesting stat.
If true, then linux desktop, is the only place where Firefox is still dominant. I find it, a bit hard to believe B[ (yes, i really do use firefox). In the windows world, google chrome is on top.

There's something more scientific?
Serious question, i'm not antagonistic or something like that.
Linux mint forum users are not necessarily a representative sample.
I can't find browser market share for linux only.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Firefox is fitting to Linux as a true open source browser.

Anything Google does is just quasi open source.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Houchou wrote:Linux mint forum users are not necessarily a representative sample.
Exactly the opposite! For Linux Mint only Mint users are representative. You made a suggestion for Mint, not for the world.

Further note, that Google Chrome is mainly, but not completely open source. Note also that this browser tracks, partially optional (but by default enabled), partially not optional. That might be judged differently, where the hole OS tracks and spies, but Linux Mint is a not spying OS.

Besides that, chromium is not chrome. So what do you really suggest? Your arguing about market share is not even applicable for chromium.

Houchou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Houchou » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:51 pm

"Linux mint FORUM users" and "Linux mint users" are not necessarily the same group.

"Besides that, chromium is not chrome"
-_-
and airplanes don't fly, because they don't flap their wings....
From what i know, it's basically the same.

Is there something wrong with chromium it self? (I don't actually use it)
I'm not aware of spying in chromium.

You can't just dismiss the fact that google chrome is overwhelmingly dominant. It seams logical, that chromium should be part of the default linux mint install as the default browser.

WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WHVW » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Just saw this post, so I'll add my thoughts: ANYTHING Google is SPYWARE. Anything. They are a data aggregation/spy company. They collect that data any time you use one of their "services", i.e. their search engine, ( which has made "to Google" a verb) companies they own, (such as You Tube) programmes and apps they provide, ( Chromium ), that stupid little tin can thing you can ask questions of (and) control your lights, etc. (which also gives Google a live microphone in your home) and services they sell to other sites ( watch names like "googleapsys" or "googleplex" fly by the lower left of your screen as you access a site) ( I know that I have misspelt those names, they go by quickly, but you get the idea). They are into everything. My "vote" is to not have anything Google defaulted in anything Linux. I sure wish someone would write a little add-on for Firefox that would scrub all those sneaky little Google links in FF's "about:config" files (etc.) also. In summation: place "avoid everything Google" on your privacy to-do list.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:46 am

Houchou wrote:
You can't just dismiss the fact that google chrome is overwhelmingly dominant. It seams logical, that chromium should be part of the default linux mint install as the default browser.
Why should Linux Mint follow the sheeple?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:18 am

Houchou wrote:From what i know
That might be the limitation. Also obviously in this case:
Houchou wrote:I'm not aware of spying in chromium.
For thousands of years mankind was not aware, that the Earth is a ball and that the stars do not rotate around the Earth. But this has ever been even without anybody in that time being aware about it.
Houchou wrote:You can't just dismiss the fact that google chrome is overwhelmingly dominant.
If this is your complete arguing, than you should urgently suggest to make Mint as a part of Windows. (Or Windows as a part of Mint? :lol: ) Windows has a market share, where Chrome can only dream about.
Houchou wrote:It seams logical, that chromium should be part of the default linux mint install as the default browser.
It is not logical at least. You argue with the market share of Chrome and than you call for Chromium. I asked you already, what you really want. Instead of answering you simply throw around with names just as it pleases you. This has nothing to do with logic, but much with knowledge.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:05 pm

I don't use chromium I use chrome stable instead from google so I have to disagree and use firefox as my main browser.
It would just get removed on my system.
But let the majority rule.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:24 pm

There seems to be a bit of hysteria associated with the subject of chromium. chromium is open source, and Google's tracking can be avoided by simple measures such as using a different search, other than Google Search.
Package: chromium-browser
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Description: Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
An open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.
Homepage: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/

Chrome, on the other hand, is Google's version of chromium. To create Chrome from Chromium, Google takes this source code and adds:
An auto-update system called GoogleUpdate (some, such as the Debian or Ubuntu community builds of Chromium, rely on the package management system of the OS as an alternative)
Integrated PPAPI version of Adobe Flash Player.[11] This can be downloaded and installed separately in community supported distributions of Chromium.
Media codecs to support H.264, AAC and MP3 formats. These can be downloaded and installed separately in community supported distributions of Chromium.[12]
A restriction that disables extensions not hosted on the Chrome Web Store (for Windows users on all Chrome channels)[13]
The Google and Google Chrome names (both registered trademarks)[14][15][16]
An opt-in option for users to send Google their usage statistics and crash reports.
RLZ tracking when Chrome is downloaded as part of marketing promotions and distribution partnerships. This transmits information in encoded form to Google, including both when—and from where – Chrome was downloaded. In June 2010, Google confirmed that the RLZ tracking token is not present in versions of Chrome downloaded from the Google website directly, nor in any version of Chromium. The RLZ source code was also made open source at the same time (previously it was proprietary – and although the source is now open the feature was not migrated to Chromium) so that developers can confirm what it is and how it works.[17]
Prior to version 47: built-in PDF viewer and print preview (incorporated into Chromium 47 and later, after Google open-sourced the PDF viewer).
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:47 pm

thanks austin.texas I never knew this
Good to know.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:57 pm

You may be correct. I just have 0 trust in anything Google or Microsoft does. Even if there software moved to open source. I know there has to be a catch somewhere.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:11 pm

The question if and where and how Google collects data and tracks is not really the topic here. Although the arguing of the OP is strange on some places and he plays with the browser names as children play with marbles (s)he clearly "suggests" in the title to make chromium default, a browser which seems to be (following the poll in another thread) a browser for a very small minority.

BTW: One could wonder, why (s)he does not use chromium him/her-self, as (s)he suggests that. I am not really interested to know this strangeness, but if gives something to think about the "suggestion".

Rockisreal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rockisreal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:21 pm

My weapon of choice is definitely Firefox. Mainly because it makes browsing safer, more secure and more private. These are the qualities that are essential nowadays as the number of cyber incidents keeps increasing exponentially. I do use Chromium, but only for my Youtube channel. For banking, emails, and general browsing, I'd never use anything else than Firefox and Tor. I also use Brave for light browsing. I like its design and browser speeds.

I also keep having graphics issues with Chrome, Chromium and Vivaldi, where they just flash weird tearing effects across the screen. Never had that in Firefox. If the only argument for Firefox is that "it doesn't spy", I don't think it's going to persuade substantive amount of people. The argument, however, should be maintained that it's necessary to keep track of your cybersecurity, and I think Firefox does a better job.
Also many people don't question the default when it comes it preinstalled software. Many of them just go for Edge and Norton Antivirus which are both terrible pieces of software. So it's only beneficial for Firefox that Linux uses it as its default. Users won't lack anything from Chrome/Chromium and they can only gain more control over what data gets collected or exposed.

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:07 pm

Well, to me it's equal... Those who use Chrome(ium) will install it in a few minutes anyway. I don't think that Linux Mint has to follow the trends. It's not really logic to follow a trend just because it's a trend. If there are logic reasons too, then that's completely different. :)
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:21 pm

And here's a good reason for Chromiun NOT to be the default browser for Mint. Mint is supposed to be all about choice. According to the article this also affects Chromium.

Google removes Plugin controls from Chrome

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”