A single web page directing you to where to post bugs, questions, feedback and ideas

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

A single web page directing you to where to post bugs, questions, feedback and ideas

Post by polarvortex »

There are dozens of places that you are supposed to report bugs, ask questions, submit feedback or suggest ideas about the various parts of Mint. It's confusing and obscure.

I understand how it could become this way over the years, and I'm not even suggesting consolidating things, since that's just too impossible I'm sure.

But, I do think there should be a web page that directs users to the various (best) places they should report bugs, ask questions, submit feedback or suggest ideas.

You've got the blog comments, various sub forums in the forums, the launchpad?, the githubs, the ideas thing on the website, etc. Some of the things aren't even run by Mint, I guess you call them 'upstream', so you would also want it to direct people to those things too.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: A single web page directing you to where to post bugs, questions, feedback and ideas

Post by xenopeek »

If you want a single page, I refer you to Google. Not trying to be funny but there are tens of thousands of independently developed pieces of software available on Linux Mint and so if you want to post ideas you should submit those to the developers of the piece of software you have ideas about. Which is why our forum rule here says: "So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead." All those collaboration websites could be posted on one (very long) page but what would be the practical use of listing tens of thousands of websites? For ideas about the software developed by Linux Mint there is GitHub.

In general the best place to ask questions is the Linux Mint forum. If it is a very specific piece of software, like some problem you with a specific Windows program in Wine, you can instead try the support channels of that piece of software. Again, we could list tens of thousands of websites, mailinglists, IRC channels, and whatnot — but how is that practical.

As for bugs, if you don't know then in my experience the chance is good that you would be better served by asking for support here on the forums first. "Bug" is an ugly word. No disrespect, but average users too often use it mean "I have a problem that I didn't really look into and didn't try to get help with." You're not doing the developers or yourself a service by posting a problem you want support with as a bug. Get support first and if with help from others (by them reproducing the issue, helping you to gather logging or debug information or similar) it can be determined to be a bug then they can often help you where to post it. For distributions like Ubuntu and Debian that have hundreds of package maintainers it is feasible to accept bug reports for programs they didn't develop. For Linux Mint it isn't. So if with help from others it is determined to be a bug, you can report it as such on GitHub for Linux Mint developed software. For software not developed by Linux Mint you would either report it to Ubuntu or Debian (depending on your Linux Mint edition) maintainers or upstream to the developers.

Part of this information is available in each package. I think Synaptic can show it to you. At least apt show [i]packagename[/i] will show it; where to report bugs (usually to the package maintainer), what the homepage of the program is, and so on.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: A single web page directing you to where to post bugs, questions, feedback and ideas

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote:apt show [i]packagename[/i] will show it; where to report bugs (usually to the package maintainer), what the homepage of the program is, and so on.
Cool! I always used Synaptic for that, but this is even better. Thanks! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex »

I think you are taking what I am saying a little far when you talk about tens of thousands of independent pieces of software. I'm mainly talking about the various elements of Mint.

With the current state of things I'm surprised you don't think there is any merit to my suggestion

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

The Good News: There already is a single web page that does what you want: Get Involved - Linux Mint

The Bad News: It's not correct since both "Report a Bug" and "Register a new idea" point you to launchpad which no one apparently at Mint HQ looks at.

I'm told the place you want to do both is GitHub: https://github.com/linuxmint
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

polarvortex wrote:I think you are taking what I am saying a little far when you talk about tens of thousands of independent pieces of software. I'm mainly talking about the various elements of Mint.

With the current state of things I'm surprised you don't think there is any merit to my suggestion
You should understand that Linux Mint and the Ubuntu that it's based on, are distributions. Which means: the Mint / Ubuntu developers take thousands of pieces of software from upstream (Debian, kernel team, Mozilla, LibreOffice, etc. etc.), glue them together and distribute that as a whole.

The developers of Linux Mint and Ubuntu are middle men. Upstream is where the software is being developed (and bugs are fixed). The "middle men" do fix some bugs themselves, but that costs a lot of effort and time. Plus it's not as efficient as an upstream bug fix, which benefits all Linux distributions.

The best way to go, is to get upstream to fix a bug (preferably by means of a micro release), and then try to convince the Ubuntu / Mint developers to port it to their distro's. For Mint 18.x and Ubuntu 16.04.x, this usually means a Stable Release Update (SRU). For that to happen, the following requirements have to be met:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

Note that the developers have no time to spare for bad and/or incomplete bug reports, which usually boil down to PEBKAC or to a support need that can be provided by the fora.... :wink:
Last edited by Pjotr on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

And if you are looking for the equivalent of "Ask Ubuntu" in Mint I don't think there is such a thing.

"Ask Ubuntu" is a strange little site. Generally the most vociferous of the ubuntu forum posters who know little of the subject they are posting about also post answers at "Ask Ubuntu". The biggest difference between that site and the regular ubuntu forum is that folks can vote on which answer actually works and can even give negative votes on answers from the truly impaired.. Wheat meet chaff. :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex »

Pjotr wrote:You should understand that Linux Mint and the Ubuntu that it's based on, are distributions. Which means: the Mint / Ubuntu developers take thousands of pieces of software from upstream (Debian, kernel team, Mozilla, LibreOffice, etc. etc.), glue them together and distribute that as a whole.
I guess I wasn't being clear, but I don't mean stuff like Mozilla and LibreOffice. I think those are clearly separate projects (but that would probably be worth a line of explanation for the users in the web page I suggested heh). I was talking about the things the Mint team actually work on like Cinnamon, and, well, tbh I don't know if they work on Mate, that's partly why I'm suggesting this, because if my topic is Mate, then I would want to know the correct party to communicate with.
Pjotr wrote:Note that the developers have no time to spare for bad and/or incomplete bug reports, which usually boil down to PEBKAC or to a support need that can be provided by the fora.... :wink:
I'm not sure why my suggestion seems to have you guys thinking that I would want to direct more support questions to the wrong places such as bug reporting sites. On the contrary, I would want to direct support questions to the appropriate support forum. I consider bugs, questions, feedback, and ideas, to be 4 different categories.

The web page should also list various resources like the community tutorials, the forum tutorials, and the manual. Again this would be a Mint specific thing, not trying to list stuff for the 1000 apps that work in mint and also work in other distros.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”