Better looking boot loader

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Better looking boot loader

Post by polarvortex »

Would be nice if the boot loader looked modern instead of all old terminal dos looking.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Better looking boot loader

Post by trytip »

never felt the need really maybe one day i would but i'm ok with the generic grub menu. i used to customize windows 98 boot menu with a stargate boot menu but ...
http://askubuntu.com/questions/532238/h ... rub-2-menu

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Indeed.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Doesn't really matter to me what it looks like. I don't spend much time looking at it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

This suggestion is risky and troublesome:
"Modern" means in practical sense: graphical. As long as all runs well, this will work, but if not, what then? A textual screen - similar to the virtual console - is supposed to get displayed on every system and in mostly every situation, a graphical possibly does not. Assume, that the virtual console get replaced by something like a virtual GUI: If this fails to work, you can nearly forget the system.

So no, this would be a bad idea. High risk (in emergency situation) for something, what appears in single-boot systems usually not at all, in multi-boot systems usually for at most 10 seconds? I have never seen anybody, who powers on his computer to watch his boot menu. People use their computer to work inside of the installed system(s).

So not only superfluous, but a big potential risk.

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex »

I also don't see the need, and I understand that there are issues with it. But at some point, we're in the future and this thing will look like half a century old.

There should be a solid elegant way to do it that doesn't rely on bloated failure prone frameworks or whatever. It's not impossible to do it and have it be reliable imo, especially if it can fall back on text if needed.

I realize it's a preposterous suggestion, but I am thinking outside the box

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

You only get to see the Grub menu on a dual boot system.... On a single boot, you won't see it at all.

However, in itself it's not a bad idea: for example, openSUSE (German quality, a.k.a. deutsche Wertarbeit!) has had a nice looking boot menu for over a decade. So, apparently, it's possible to create a Grub menu that's both pretty and stable.

Anyway, this is a safe way of making it more beautiful:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... autifygrub

And whatever you do, do not use Grub Customizer:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... Customizer
(item 6.2.2, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The GRUB menu does not even appear for the default 10 seconds on my system - 2 seconds is enough if you know what you want to use. A single key tap halts the automated process.

As for making the boot menu visually more attractive, use your artistic talents. Adding a background image is a simple process (see Pjotr's website). Customisation is always possible with Linux distros.

Grub Customizer (version 5.0.6) cannot implement some text colours and these, if wanted, would have to be changed by editing /etc/grub.d/06_mint_theme and setting the desired menu colours but if you already know how to do that, then you don't need Grub Customizer. The Terminal is a better and preferable option.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

rEFInd has a slightly better looking interface... buttons, even. Though you still have to use arrow keys to select your OS or options.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”