user guide should suggest open source not utorrent

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

user guide should suggest open source not utorrent

Post by polarvortex » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 am

On page 9 of the user guide it talks about downloading the ISO torrent, and it says "If you run Windows, you can use uTorrent". It should suggest an open source torrent client instead, not uTorrent...

It should probably be qBittorrent.

(Also it would be nice if the manual had some kind of link for submitting comments like this to the maintainer(s))

lyndave
Level 1
Level 1

Re: user guide should suggest open source not utorrent

Post by lyndave » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:06 am

i agree the suggestion should not be utorrent , however i have used qtorrent and found it to not be satifactory, i use frostwire, it seem more friendly

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:37 am

uTorrent is by far the most popular torrent client on Windows (according to alternativeto.net). It is more likely that people that use torrents already have uTorrent than any of the open source alternatives. That may be a reason it is in there.

gmorehouse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gmorehouse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 pm

"Transmission or uTorrent" where, perhaps, Transmission is a hyperlink and uTorrent is not.

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:36 pm

xenopeek wrote:uTorrent is by far the most popular torrent client on Windows (according to alternativeto.net). It is more likely that people that use torrents already have uTorrent than any of the open source alternatives. That may be a reason it is in there.
Sure, but that doesn't really matter. In the manual it is under the heading "Install a Torrent client". If the user is already a uTorrent user, they don't need to install it. So this part of the manual is directing people who don't have a torrent client to install uTorrent. I believe Mint should be promoting FOSS when it can

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”