user guide should suggest open source not utorrent

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
polarvortex

user guide should suggest open source not utorrent

Post by polarvortex »

On page 9 of the user guide it talks about downloading the ISO torrent, and it says "If you run Windows, you can use uTorrent". It should suggest an open source torrent client instead, not uTorrent...

It should probably be qBittorrent.

(Also it would be nice if the manual had some kind of link for submitting comments like this to the maintainer(s))
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Re: user guide should suggest open source not utorrent

Post by lyndave »

i agree the suggestion should not be utorrent , however i have used qtorrent and found it to not be satifactory, i use frostwire, it seem more friendly
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

uTorrent is by far the most popular torrent client on Windows (according to alternativeto.net). It is more likely that people that use torrents already have uTorrent than any of the open source alternatives. That may be a reason it is in there.
gmorehouse

Post by gmorehouse »

"Transmission or uTorrent" where, perhaps, Transmission is a hyperlink and uTorrent is not.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

xenopeek wrote:uTorrent is by far the most popular torrent client on Windows (according to alternativeto.net). It is more likely that people that use torrents already have uTorrent than any of the open source alternatives. That may be a reason it is in there.
Sure, but that doesn't really matter. In the manual it is under the heading "Install a Torrent client". If the user is already a uTorrent user, they don't need to install it. So this part of the manual is directing people who don't have a torrent client to install uTorrent. I believe Mint should be promoting FOSS when it can

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”