LMDE has clumsy installer

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Fedor

LMDE has clumsy installer

Post by Fedor »

In the installer scripts there is such error message:
"ERROR: Something is wrong with the installation medium! This is usually caused by burning tools which are not compatible with LMDE (YUMI or other multiboot tools). Please burn the ISO image to DVD/USB using a different tool."
That message pops up when you install from iso. This very confusing nonsense made me waste a lots of time. There was nothing wrong with medium at all, script just not found one file. It must be fixed to something sane, like
"ERROR: not found filesystem.squashfs file in the given path"

And after all i suggest to give for the user a possibility to choose a path for installation source, to be able install from anywhere including network share, and only then check it availability, and of course before selecting language, user name, etc. And i think, that this will be not difficult to implement as scripts made of the plain text, can be easily edited and tested.
MintyO

Re: LMDE has clumsy installer

Post by MintyO »

Fedor, when I installed LMDE2. I just "double clicked the intall mint icon on the desktop" and didn't notice any problems. I saw your other topic about installing and gotta say I still don't understand what you did there.
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

Seems nobody cares here, or may be this is wrong pace for writiing. Linuxmint is the best user friendly linux i know but still not enough user friendly.
Also i'm going to try this cause with regular edition of linuxmint, if it's lmde only issue.

MintyO
Of course you not understand, its not likely you are a computer technician who do often install OS, and from one usb drive with 10 other OS distribuses and testing tools (or install from LAN) .
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

My point, and argument, is still valid. You gave no indication on that topic, that you launched the installer as it is intended even though you were suggested to do so. If you don't use something as intended, you can't argue that it doesn't work as it should.
Fedor

Post by Fedor »

MintyO
Oh, why do you think i have created topic here? According to "as it is intended" i must have one separate usb drive or one cd per linuxmint editio. And walk with the bunch of a cdroms or with huge usb drives trinket. This is clumsy. So i making a suggestion for changing that.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”