File copy/replace

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Doug

File copy/replace

Post by Doug »

Good morning,

I recently updated from 17.3 to 18.1 and did a lot of copying to back up between my OS drive, secondary internal hard drive, an external drive and triplicating important stuff on my laptop. I noticed that the only question was something along the lines of " *.(file) already exists, do you wish to replace (same).(file) here. "

Is there any way that we could add functionality to that so that we could keep or replace in the destination file with the Larger / Newer / etc? That way if there are a mix of active and inactive files the 'newer' would overwrite the older on the destination drives, while it would skip copying/transferring duplicates and not roll back newer files.

Thank you for your time.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: File copy/replace

Post by ajgreeny »

You could just use rsync, or if you want a GUI grsync which will do exactly what you want.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thank you, I installed that and will play with it.

The back up process is complete so it's not a huge issue for me anymore. I was actually referring to dropping a less complicated bit of functionality something like that into the standard 18.* file copy/cut/paste package.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

ajgreeny wrote:You could just use rsync, or if you want a GUI grsync which will do exactly what you want.
Exactly right! Grsync is very fast and efficient.
Grsync tutorial
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”