A small but controversial suggestion

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Jaydemir

A small but controversial suggestion

Post by Jaydemir »

So Linux Mint is awesome. It is. However, there is a design aesthetic that makes absolutely no sense to me:

The particular shade of green.

Upon a simple Google search, you can see what Mint green is 'supposed' to look like:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 359633.jpg

I know this is easy enough to change, and that it's not that big of a deal. I only ask, why not a more elegant shade of green? I love the new Mint Y theme but that shade of green is not working for me. I know it's personal preference, but I figured I'd say something even if I catch some heat for it.
MintyO

Re: A small but controversial suggestion

Post by MintyO »

I highly disagree on both accounts (if I understand your argument(s) correctly). That's not the "green" as seen on Mint (the plant). Mint developers don't have to use any particular green, they can use what they wish.

As a personal note: I find the "google green" you linked to highly unappealing, and although I guess the green in Linux Mint could be better, I wouldn't choose that one.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MintyO wrote:although I guess the green in Linux Mint could be better, I wouldn't choose that one.
I agree. I do not consider it to be more elegant in any way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

Fair enough, the color 'mint' might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Still, even getting closer to the color on the actual plant would be more visually appealing than the current choice.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I think the reason is that the "real" color of mint would be that it's too saturated and dark as a background for text.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Jaydemir wrote:Upon a simple Google search, you can see what Mint green is 'supposed' to look like:
I see a whole bunch of different mint greens:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mint+gr ... s&tbm=isch
Pictures of actual mint plants
https://www.google.com/search?q=mint&so ... s&tbm=isch
are darker and more saturated.

The authority should be /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt - but it only has "MintCream" = 245 255 250 -> hue = 150.
Your mint green had a hue=153, so pretty close.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I'm red/green color blind. As long as it's not some shade of nuk'em glow-in-the-dark green, I'm good with it!
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

There are many shades of green - on this website alone there are 6 shades of green. Find them all (no prizes unfortunately).

Linux Mint is almost infinitely customisable. Whatever is not to your taste, you can easily change.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”