OBS Studio for Linux Mint 18.2

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
CupidsHelper

OBS Studio for Linux Mint 18.2

Post by CupidsHelper »

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: OBS Studio for Linux Mint 18.2

Post by jimallyn »

There are instructions for installing on Ubuntu (which will also work on Mint) here:

https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/wi ... structions
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

jimallyn wrote:There are instructions for installing on Ubuntu (which will also work on Mint) here:

https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/wi ... structions
Thanks. But my request was for adding to the repos, or to the software manager=similar to Ubuntu MATE's Software Boutique.
Have a good one. :) :)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

CupidsHelper wrote:Thanks. But my request was for adding to the repos, or to the software manager=similar to Ubuntu MATE's Software Boutique.
Yeah, I know what you asked for, but I don't think you're likely to get that. I don't think that's something that thousands and thousands of Mint users are clamoring for. Therefore, it seems unlikely that the Mint devs will take the time to make it available. If you want it, you're probably going to have to find some other way to get it. Like the way I suggested, for example.

Do you understand how Software Manager and the repositories work? Software Manager is a tool for viewing and installing applications that are in the repositories. So, to add it to the repositories is to add it to Software Manager.

I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't know exactly what Software Boutique is, but if it's available on Ubuntu, it's almost certainly available on Mint. ... OK, I did a little looking around. To get Software Boutique, apparently you need to install ubuntu-mate-welcome. Since Mint uses the Ubuntu repositories, one would expect to find ubuntu-mate-welcome available in Mint Software Manager or in Synaptic, and indeed, it is there. It appears most of what is in Software Boutique is PPAs from developers, which have long been available, but it sounds like Ubuntu just put a bunch of them in one place. If you want OBS Studio to show up in Software Manager, you need only add the OBS Studio repository to your system (as described in the link I posted above), and it will show up in Software Manager or Synaptic. If you decide to install ubuntu-mate-welcome , please let us know if OBS Studio shows up in there.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

jimallyn wrote:
CupidsHelper wrote:Thanks. But my request was for adding to the repos, or to the software manager=similar to Ubuntu MATE's Software Boutique.
Yeah, I know what you asked for, but I don't think you're likely to get that. I don't think that's something that thousands and thousands of Mint users are clamoring for. Therefore, it seems unlikely that the Mint devs will take the time to make it available. If you want it, you're probably going to have to find some other way to get it. Like the way I suggested, for example.

Do you understand how Software Manager and the repositories work? Software Manager is a tool for viewing and installing applications that are in the repositories. So, to add it to the repositories is to add it to Software Manager.

I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't know exactly what Software Boutique is, but if it's available on Ubuntu, it's almost certainly available on Mint. ... OK, I did a little looking around. To get Software Boutique, apparently you need to install ubuntu-mate-welcome. Since Mint uses the Ubuntu repositories, one would expect to find ubuntu-mate-welcome available in Mint Software Manager or in Synaptic, and indeed, it is there. It appears most of what is in Software Boutique is PPAs from developers, which have long been available, but it sounds like Ubuntu just put a bunch of them in one place. If you want OBS Studio to show up in Software Manager, you need only add the OBS Studio repository to your system (as described in the link I posted above), and it will show up in Software Manager or Synaptic. If you decide to install ubuntu-mate-welcome , please let us know if OBS Studio shows up in there.
You know...I just remembered Linux Mint has been only based on the LTS versions of Ubuntu. Another thing, it has been awhile since I did a install of Linux Mint MATE (probably the 17 series.) no issues back then, but this 18 series seems real buggy to me (YMMV). I am sure I had seen OBS studio offered in the Ubuntu MATE software boutique/welcome, but it was most likely a release AFTER the current LTS. Time to distro hop. :wink: Anyway, thanks for your good advice, expertise, and for having (what appears to me.) a really good attitude. You have been most helpful. Cheers. :D
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by satsriakal »

Hi everybody,

I installed OBS on my notebook with Linux Mint 18.1 but, although I made a lot of efforts and internet research to solve the problems, it doesn't work at all.
Below I post the logs I get when I start the software.
Any suggestion on the way to proceed?

Best regard
Beppe

Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/en-US.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale.ini
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/locale/it-IT.ini
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/locale/it-IT.ini
info: Using preferred locale 'it-IT'
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Default.qss
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/themes/Default.qss
Attempted path: share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
Attempted path: /usr/share/obs/obs-studio/license/gplv2.txt
info: Processor: 2 logical cores
info: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU U9400 @ 1.40GHz
info: Physical Memory: 2809MB Total
info: Kernel Version: Linux 4.4.0-72-generic
info: Distribution: "Linux Mint" "18.1"
info: OBS 0.16.2 (linux)
info: ---------------------------------
info: ---------------------------------
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 44100
speakers: 2
info: Freeing OBS context data
info: == Profiler Results =============================
info: run_program_init: 3171,32 ms
info: ┣OBSApp::AppInit: 5,47 ms
info: ┃ ┗OBSApp::InitLocale: 3,353 ms
info: ┗OBSApp::OBSInit: 156,7 ms
info: ┣obs_startup: 1,983 ms
info: ┗OBSBasic::OBSInit: 47,643 ms
info: ┣OBSBasic::InitBasicConfig: 0,583 ms
info: ┣OBSBasic::ResetAudio: 0,17 ms
info: ┗OBSBasic::ResetVideo: 46,751 ms
info: obs_hotkey_thread(25 ms): min=0,169 ms, median=0,449 ms, max=12,201 ms, 99th percentile=4,034 ms, 100% below 25 ms
info: audio_thread(Audio): min=0,014 ms, median=0,023 ms, max=0,042 ms, 99th percentile=0,042 ms
info: =================================================
info: == Profiler Time Between Calls ==================
info: obs_hotkey_thread(25 ms): min=25,262 ms, median=25,643 ms, max=29,367 ms, 24,7706% within ±2% of 25 ms (0% lower, 75,2294% higher)
info: =================================================
info: Number of memory leaks: 130
DGMurdockIII
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DGMurdockIII »

Please make it work
alexdd

Post by alexdd »

should be added to repositories.

this is essential.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

alexdd wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:07 pm this is essential.
Instructions haven't changed in the three years since this thread was started: https://obsproject.com/wiki/install-ins ... stallation

This is really better than having it in the repos. That PPA is from the OBS Studio developers themselves. When they push an update, you'll have the update available in your Update Manager. Normal repo software is typically one person or a small team adding security fixes only to the version of the software that was present when first added to the repo. No version upgrades, no enhancements added, not even most bug fixes implemented.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”