ECOSIA search engine

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
tinny123

ECOSIA search engine

Post by tinny123 »

Guys i just found about the ecosia search engine. http://www.ecosia.org They r a german startup which donates 80% of ad revenue to forest conservation. They have won several European awards and already hv millions of users. They use bing+their own search algorithms. I think all linux distros should use it as default search engine in their pre installed browsers. I think this reflects the ethos of FOSS
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: ECOSIA search engine

Post by jimallyn »

tinny123 wrote:They use bing+their own search algorithms. ... I think this reflects the ethos of FOSS
Not if it uses Bing it doesn't.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Well, I prefer privacy, and that is something, what ecosia does not give. Several data get provided to their partners, other information go to Google. So I could use Google also directly. Even worse than using Google: The data go both to Bing and Google. And although it might look at the first view different, ecosia is a profit organization. That is nothing bad by itself, but they force a different appearance, which is nothing more than a business model.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

tinny123 wrote:I think this reflects the ethos of FOSS
ethos : The character or fundamental values of a person, people, culture, or movement.[1]
Sounds idealistic. Using Bing. Erm. No?

Sounds contrary to me. I'm with Jim on this one.

Where can I read about this "ethos of FOSS"?
Must be secret. 7 hits on google. Maybe I need to use Bing.

I'm just giving ya a little bit of a hard time because the "ethos of FOSS" is something I've never heard.
And I've heard 'isms for some time now.

Don't take me seriously,
Peace.
DGMurdockIII
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DGMurdockIII »

Duckduckgo is still a better open source web search engine
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

i will stick with duckduckgo i have never and will never use anything related to bing, just on principle
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

It's amazing what a few childishly painted trees can do - we're all so sweet and nice and environmentally conscious...

But the rascals are already sophisticated, you have to let Alphabet and Microsoft
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

What about startpage, is that one good from a privacy point of view?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Marziano wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 am What about startpage, is that one good from a privacy point of view?
If you live in Europe (Italy?) also etools.ch might be useful - so you can search specifically in individual countries and filter by language. The terms and conditions seem quite reasonable according to Swiss law. But I am neither a lawyer nor a security expert in network technology but only an average user.

to Startpage: well meant, only it just does not find anything, because I switch to google regularly

DuckDuckGo is getting better and better - at least that's my opinion

You can accuse Google a lot, but technically they are still unbeatable
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 am If you live in Europe (Italy?) also etools.ch might be useful - so you can search specifically in individual countries and filter by language. The terms and conditions seem quite reasonable according to Swiss law. But I am neither a lawyer nor a security expert in network technology but only an average user.
Thanks for that one! I was totally unaware of its existence. I will check it out. Another European search engine that I know of but I haven't used is Qwant. Do you know something about it?
This is an excerpt from their privacy policy:
Qwant ensures that your privacy is protected, and this is the cornerstone of our philosophy. We don’t use any cookie nor any tracking device that may allow us to track your browsing habits or to establish your profile. You are of course entitled to the rights provided by law (in particular the European legal framework and the French loi « Informatique et Libertés » du 7 janvier 1978), but we also forbid ourselves from collecting an important amount of data that others collect, which are useless to provide you with the services you need. We never try to find out who you are or what you are personally doing when you use our search engine. When we do need to collect data, we do not disclose nor sell it for commercial or other uses. We use it exclusively to provide you with the services offered by Qwant.
https://about.qwant.com/legal/privacy/
Last edited by Sir Charles on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Hello

Yes - but I don't know what it's supposed to do - all of them are mixed together, a bit of search engine, a bit of newsletters and a few little pictures - that's how I feel like in kindergarten :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Marziano wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 am What about startpage, is that one good from a privacy point of view?
Yes, it is.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 am Hello
all of them are mixed together, a bit of search engine, a bit of newsletters and a few little pictures - that's how I feel like in kindergarten :mrgreen:
Lol, right, it's true :)
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

For all Europeans here in the forum: Google filters meanwhile rather bluntly to protect us citizens from bad, evil information.
To work around this I use the evil Chinese bought Opera with built-in VPN - switch once and the stupid Google message does not appear.

...and now all may crucify and quarter me :lol:
Faust

Post by Faust »

Certainly , Google are world leaders in mining data ( including ours of course ) and that makes them useful to me ,
but I want that data traffic to be a strictly one-way street , and DuckDuckGo and others bring that a step closer .

I only heard of ECOSIA recently , simply because it was the default search engine in a distro that I've been road-testing ...
... Mageia ? Trisquel ? .... I can't remember .

I read-up on them , then I ditched it .
If they are in bed with Bing , Google or whoever , they have to go .

I am very pro-environment , but I also see that in certain cases it has become a " flag of convenience " to be waved ,
a fashionable badge to wear to attract attention to other activities ( usually commercial )
It certainly did no harm at all to Bongo or The Hedge :)

I don't intend any slur against ECOSIA , but it's definitely not for me .

Qwant was the default search engine in the SRIron Browser , IIRC.
All sorts of claims made by both of them , but not enough transparency for me
.... another case of " Big hat , no cattle "
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Also in Waterfox (macOS/Windows/Linux?) ECOSIA is the default search engine...
Faust

Post by Faust »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 am Also in Waterfox (macOS/Windows/Linux?) ECOSIA is the default search engine...
Looks like it might be getting a foothold then ...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”