Maybe it's time to update the website/forum[+others]

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
elpeleq42

Maybe it's time to update the website/forum[+others]

Post by elpeleq42 »

To reach more new public that never had any contact with Linux, maybe it's time to make the website/forum more professional/attractive.Also i think that there should be some "new versions" of Mint available.

About website:

It has a too simple template that doesn't even use half of the screen(looking like an really old/abandoned website).If you take a look at windows website, you see basically the same idea(news + support + few description of the product) but in a better way.They use images of happy people to give the idea that windows is used by happy people, they have huge Titles introducing why should you use their product(And show, after it, some features of the system), the Buy button is blue while the page is all while, highlighting it, they hide less the menus,etc.Maybe you guys should change the website(all those things can be easily done using wordpress)

About Forum:

I know it may look bad to read but: phpbb is terrible.I used forums for a long long time(Used many types of forum (and was ADM of them also) like SMF,phpbb,punbb,IPS,etc) and to me, phpbb is the worst possible for users.In my opinion, SMF and IPS are the best(first one free, second paid) for both customization and usage(A lot more "noob friendly" and with a really better visual than phpbb).
Migrating from a plataform to another(when it's a forum) is easy, so if you decide to move all the topics/posts/accounts from this forum to a SMF/IPS one, it probably won't take even a single day.

About new versions:

"Noob users" that come from windows may not know how to install things on linux and if they download a system without any programs and without knowing where to find( i know, there's a program to download programs/games on mint. But does a windows user know?) probably they will uninstall mint, install windows again and never come back.So my idea is to create a few different versions of the system(Like a gaming one with Steam, playonlinux,etc installed and their icons on desktop, or a "Media editor" one[wich can be popular among youtubers], that comes with Gimp,some video editors,audio editors,etc) and put on the downloading page side by side each version with a small "logo" showing for what they are made(Or maybe there could be a option like "Gaming user", "Editor professional",etc on installation, and depending on which you choose, mint download those things for you)
This will make the system looks like a lot more friendly to those who never used a linux distribution before.

Finishing: I know, i'm new here and know too few things about Mint but, being it the most popular Linux distribution(by far, must say), i think that it should try to be more friendly and look more professional.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Maybe it's time to update the website/forum[+others]

Post by rene »

elpeleq42 wrote:i think that it should try to be more friendly and look more professional.
You do know that "professional" signifies doing something for money rather than because you in fact care for it, right?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

elpeleq42 wrote:It has a too simple template that doesn't even use half of the screen
Looks fine to me. Perhaps you should read this webpage about "white space":

http://www.seguetech.com/whitespace-web-design/

Or the wikipedia page on white space, from which I quote:
A page crammed full of text or graphics with very little white space runs the risk of appearing busy or cluttered, and is typically difficult to read. Some designs compensate for this problem through the careful use of leading and typeface. Conversely, judicious use of white space can give a page a classic, elegant, or rich appearance. For example, upscale brands often use ad layouts with little text and a lot of white space. For publication designers, white space is very important.
elpeleq42 wrote:They use images of happy people to give the idea that windows is used by happy people
Anybody who has ever used Windows knows better than that.
elpeleq42 wrote: phpbb is terrible.I used forums for a long long time(Used many types of forum (and was ADM of them also)
I have also used forums for a long time; as long as there have been electronic forums. (My first two modems were homemade. The first was 300 baud, and the second was 1200 baud.) I have been a moderator or administrator on several forums. I don't know how that makes one more qualified to have an opinion, but I think phpBB looks fine. It works, and that's what's important to me.
elpeleq42 wrote:"Noob users" that come from windows may not know how to install things on linux
If they look at the welcome screen, they will see an icon that says "Apps." And another icon that says "Documentation."
elpeleq42 wrote:and if they download a system without any programs
Um, have you tried Mint yet? If you had, you would know that it comes with a lot of programs.

OK, you've presented your opinion, and I have presented my (somewhat opposing) opinion. If you stick around, I suspect other opinions will be posted. What the website and the forums look like is not up to either you nor I, but up to the development team. It's a small team, and I suspect they would say that their time is better spent developing the operating system than changing the website and forums. But, you may be able to convince them to make changes, if you want to volunteer to do the work, and if you can convince the team that you are qualified to do it. (Unlike the Windows website, there aren't a lot of paid employees here; much is done by volunteers.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

elpeleq42

FORUM

I run an SMF forum. That doesn't mean SMF is better. It means it is better for ME.
It certainly doesn't mean it's better for this forum.

Changing from one forum software to another may only take about a day, but in reality it means that:
- moderators and admins have to get used to a new way of doing things.
- existing users are suddenly confronted with a new way of doing things
and for no gain.

People use this forum for support for Linux Mint.
Unlike a general discussion forum, or a forum for motorcycles (or whatever) there is no need for fancy looks and features.

It's fine, as is.

ABOUT NEW VERSIONS

Some of what you state is utterly ridiculous. Linux is not trying to be windows (thankfully).
The fact you state Mint doesn't have any programs indicates that you probably haven't even downloaded and installed it yet !

The fact that you have just one post on this forum, and that this is it makes me think that perhaps as a brand new user to this forum, you encountered some things which struck you and thought you'd offer some feedback.
If this is the case - thank you we appreciate it, but of course that doesn't mean we necessarily agree with it.

Install mint, stick around, search for help, ask for help if you can't find your question answered elsewhere.

See how you feel in six months. I suspect that none of the above will even be of remote concern to you well before then...

Cheers :D
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

i came from windows to linux and its been frustrating at times, however this forum is very helpful and the issues mentioned mean nothing.
the forum is to help users and making it pretty won't help linux users more or increase their understanding of linux, so it doesn't need makeup.........
Faust

Post by Faust »

I find this very odd .

Somebody who joins a forum , and then writes a lengthy first post about how they don't like the look of the forum ,
and they don't like the subject of the forum !

It's a strange world ....
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Indeed, and still hasn't made any more posts.....
deleted

Post by deleted »

Ever try to find anything on msdn or sevenforums?
I *think* the op just wanted to rant.
-H
dynamikspeed

Post by dynamikspeed »

The website is OK but I do agree it could be better.

A quick test on Google's website test tool https://testmysite.thinkwithgoogle.com gave an OK score.
Google ranks mobile friendly sites higher in search rankings.
Selection_307.png
If we look at MacOS and Win10 they really sell the OS show off the main features
http://www.apple.com/uk/macos/sierra/
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/features

We don't need to copy them but there should be at least a page if not the whole website to show off the desktop and features of the OS. At the moment there is only a small about section with a few lines of text.
There is tiny writing on the homepage which says free i think this needs to be made more clear.

The Forums are OK but email notifications to topics should be default for new accounts. This is common on most other forums and will mean people come back to the forums and not just post 1 or 2 topics and forget. The bookmark and subscribe buttons are far too small and hardly noticeable.
A summary of new or hot topics can also be sent by default to forum members. I get this on most new sites I subscribe to as a new member. Then i can unsubscribe if necessary.

I will try and put a page together in WordPress soon then see what you all think?
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

A page of what on wordpress?

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”