irc rules

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: irc rules

Post by tawan »

Is there any record of the "really bad behavior"?

Until I get word from above then the last I was told (by clem) was;

warn, kick, warn, kick, final warn kick and or ban. (sort of 3 strikes and you're out)

It could really upset someone new to IRC or Mint to be kicked on first action when it was a (spoken) language issue or a lack of awareness of the rules. They could be so new to computers generally, be of any age or mental background and the kick is upsetting with no pre-warning. They just need telling once and they often behave well after.

Some cases all ops know when you just have to kick or ban instantly but these cases are clear.

I have been less active lately as I also have other work away from the computer but most of the time I see the channel and it is mostly good behavior, so I have no seen this dramatic drop in standards people talk of.

As for new Ops there are ones we have all mentioned in the past in this thread from ArcherSeven, Deadguy, Kingdomcome and others (who are all US time I think) but certainly on the Australian time of day then dislexic-gaz is doing a great job at helping others. I'm normally asleep when the Europeans are awake but I assume Roin and Ikey do great work there.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Clem is on a well deserved vacation now, even without access to the internet (far, far away :)) but this has to be acted upon soon after he is back
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

gazza
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gazza »

G'day All,

Steely told me someone nominated me as an op. I have to admit I was rather shocked. Didn't even realise this forum existed till then. But I found it and thought I'd thank tawan for his nomination. Thanks Tawan,

I see there are others who are more qualified and been here longer, nominated as well. I think it best to choose from them, before you even consider me. My situation at the moment is that I am unemployed and I'm my 90yo Grandmother's Carer. As I write this, the paperwork is going through the system, and I may end up full time Carer, which will mean I will not have to look for work and will be on channel most days.

I do love being on channel and helping people. Though must admit, though I've been using linux 8 years now, I am lacking in a lot of areas. So for now I think it best that I continue as I have been doing and if I'm still around in another 6 months, maybe then consider me for the possition if there is one there.

:D

tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tawan »

Of course we have the very knowledgeable cathbard who is back on the channel - he would be a great asset.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

tawan wrote:Of course we have the very knowledgeable cathbard who is back on the channel - he would be a great asset.
Take good care of him!
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Hi,

in my opinion, cathbard and dislexic-gaz would be the ideal choices for added ops at #linuxmint.
both are very good at helping newcomers and are very patient with people.
(I'm more of a lurker in #linuxmint really 8) )

just my 2 cents,

Deadguy

Becca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Becca »

just me, but i think that cathbard and deadguy have both been around a LONG time, and would make awesome ops. but really, whats going on with the new op debates? didnt we decide it was clems decision? :D

gazza
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gazza »

G'day All

I would like to share a thought. This morning on channel, I noticed a Lot of spanish chatter. This is a good thing in my opinion. To me it shows that we are not just an english speaking Distro.

But there is a down side, it's hard to keep a conversation with english speaking people when there are several languages going at once. So I have a suggestion. Create #spanishmint or similar channel, and I nominate frank (~frank@SpotChat-e59cd5e5.cablenet.com.ni): Frank Somarriba , for op in the channel if created.

frank is a great guy and shows a clear understanding of the rules in channel, and is always helpful. He may not have the gift of linux knowledge, but he does have the basics and does a lot of translating.

anyway, it's a thought :^)

Joejc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joejc »

someone made on its called #linuxmint-es.

EDIT: the channel has been inactive so long its been unregistered

Becca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Becca »

umm.... just a thought... but if you did a spanish channel.... wouldnt you have to have a german channel....a french channel... etc etc??
x

tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tawan »

No, multilanguages are great in #linuxmint but lately we have had a LOT of spanish and a great guy called frank who speaks both english and spanish was helping out in translatoin.

It just made sense for them to be in one place so that conversation in both languages did not get too hard to follow.

There is now an unofficial #spanishlinux not branded or promoted as mint, not trying to be anything, just there as needed.

Becca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Becca »

oh, ok. that makes sense :mrgreen:
x

linXea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linXea »

I would like to see dislexic-gaz as a possible new op. He has the knowledge required and the right state of mind towards people in need of support. He would definatly be a great asset, even more than he is today, to the mint community. And of course, dislexic-gaz and I get along great. 8)

Cheers mate :)
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad x200, Intel core 2 centrino 2,4ghz, 4GB RAM, 240gb SSD

tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tawan »

thistleweb and linxea are both proving to be very good assets to Mint.

Still some consideration needs to be given to timezone and right now, Australian daytime it is just me as Op.

Gazza / dislexic-gas is a benefit as he is on Australian time too.

On US and UK time we have many ops.

Sorry not up to forming paragraphs yet, only 2 sips of coffee into the day.

linXea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linXea »

Nice of you tawan to mention me as a possible new OP. I'm not sure about how good choice I would be though. I actually don't even use mint (I did use it a little while until slackware64/slackware13 was released, that's it). I'm just a debian/slackware/gentoo user that enjoy spending time in the mint channel.

Take that under consideration, I'm not saying that I wouldn't be interested if I got the opportunity. Even though I don't use mint, my seven years of daily use of linux seems to be of some help in the channel so far. I have a lot of "free" time due the fact I am a student and btw GMT+2 (timezone)
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad x200, Intel core 2 centrino 2,4ghz, 4GB RAM, 240gb SSD

Roin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roin »

tawan wrote:thistleweb and linxea are both proving to be very good assets to Mint.

Still some consideration needs to be given to timezone and right now, Australian daytime it is just me as Op.

Gazza / dislexic-gas is a benefit as he is on Australian time too.

On US and UK time we have many ops.

Sorry not up to forming paragraphs yet, only 2 sips of coffee into the day.
Well, I agree with tawan on that one!

linXea is a real helpfull and knowledgable person, so... I would like to see them Oped ^^

Greets,
Roin

gazza
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gazza »

GMT+11 with no ops around is very frustrating. ikey can be prodded awake some times (am in the mornin for him). Occationally Kuja pops in a deals with it. But in general this time of day is a haven for foul language and bad behaviour from trolls.

Rovanion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rovanion »

There is one thing that makes tracking conversations much easier and that is putting <username>: in front of every reply. Makes filtering out information much much easier both if you are the one directly spoken to or if you're just fallowing the conversation to see if you can help.

I know there is no way to enforce this behavior, trying would be straight out stupid. But we can always treat others as we want to be treated ourselves and always make our replies in <username>, form. And we can always tell a newcommer that using this syntax helps the readability of the channel. Far from everyone knows that tab is used to autocomplete names.

E-WolfShade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by E-WolfShade »

Not to sound unhumble, but I nominate myself to be considered for opping.

I'm fairly knowledgeable, and I tend to be very good at answering questions about Linux (Mint), and solving basic problems or problems that I've run into myself. I'm also quite active, and often I'm on when there are no ops on (strange considering I'm EST), or they're all AFK.

And I also tend to get along very well with most of the regulars in #linuxmint, and linXea will probably vouch for me on that ^_^

Joejc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joejc »

We really don't need nominations for ops we NEED Husse or Clem to make people ops. We almost have 100 people in #linuxmint please make more ops

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”