Consider making Polo the default file manager in Mint Cinnamon

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
MintBean

Consider making Polo the default file manager in Mint Cinnamon

Post by MintBean »

There's a new GTK3 based file manager on the block with the distinctly minty sounding name 'Polo.' It's being developed by a well-respected open source developer with a track record of delivering solid software and I think it may be worth looking at down the road for inclusion as the default Mint file manager. Apart from bringing some new features to the table, this could break the stalemate of long running issues with Nemo such as problems when copying large numbers of files.

It may require some tweaking to make it fit in with the Mint style more, but maybe this is less effort than fixing the outstanding bugs in Nemo.

http://www.teejeetech.in/
MintBean

Re: Consider making Polo the default file manager in Mint Cinnamon

Post by MintBean »

To add- I know it's still in heavy development so just something to consider for the future at this stage.
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

this could be something work looking at for the mint developers in time,
FUD

Post by FUD »

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I have to second this motion. I'm a new Linux user (after spending 30 years as a Windows/Dos programmer) and two of the things that really have been a constant annoyance to me is the user interface (or lack thereof) of a lot of Linux programs and the lack of a decent file manager. It's perhaps one of the most important pieces of software that people use on a daily basis, and yet all of the ones I have used either have glaring problems or a bunch of little nagging quirks. I realize Polo is still under beta, but there is potential there to be the greatest file manager known to mankind. It is truly one of the best applications for demonstrating what a user interface should be that I have seen. It would also be an awesome feather in Mint's hat if Mint was the first (or only) distro to have it as their default fm.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Considering cinnamon and nemo are Mint's signature desktop environment (nemo provides the actual desktop) I very much doubt you'll see this happening

Besides, Polo is anything but stable, it crashed my entire X session when I clicked on the properties button on the toolbar, and until then I had noticed that it doesn't use my additional mouse buttons like other file browsers nor does it seem to offer a tree view, both of which completely disqualify it for me for now even if it hadn't crashed (the crash meant I purged it as fast as I could).
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Also, this:
MPlayer/MPV is used as the back-end to preview Music, Videos, GIFS, etc.
will/should likely be considered a show stopper. Cinnamon == GNOME more or less and GNOME == gstreamer. While I tend to use mplayer/mpv myself as well, from the viewpoint of a distribution I'd be of the opinion its needs to stick with one multimedia framework.
FUD

Post by FUD »

Yes, I am also aware of the current bugs.
I realize Polo is still under beta, but there is potential there
Nemo has bugs also. Most notably to me is copying a large number of files. The longer it goes, the slower it gets, sometimes coming to a crawl. From what I can tell, this has been a problem for a long time now. It is what prompted my search for another file manager.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Could you use Double Commander or Midnight Commander to copy a lot of files quickly - they are available as standard add-ons under the Mint menu system.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”