Skip boot loader installation option.

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
rhubarbpieguy
Level 1
Level 1

Skip boot loader installation option.

Post by rhubarbpieguy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:29 pm

I'd like an option to skip installing a boot loader during installation. Currently the option exists to install such to hard drive or flash media. However, I have a working grub installation with grub.cfg. I don't need or want to overwrite my existing boot loader.

What's the best avenue to suggest the option?

lmintnewb2

Re: Skip boot loader installation option.

Post by lmintnewb2 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Overall don't know and agree with you that it's handy to have the option of skipping installation of a bootloader. Have often and long since been doing so. Same situation as yours, didn't want a new install taking over the boot process.

One potential and relatively easy solution in this, boot and reinstall the grub-etc for the OS you prefer to be in charge of your systems boot. Could also explore using "efibootmgr" if your pc is an uefi setup and using it to put your preference in charge.

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:47 am

Start installer via Terminal using command

Code: Select all

ubiquity -b

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:21 am

Can you install it to /dev/null ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

rhubarbpie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rhubarbpie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm sorry, I think I was unclear. I know how to correct my grub installation when overwritten by Mint and I'm not looking for work around methods solutions. I'm looking to improve the installer and fix the problem at its root.

My question is simply how to suggest the option be added to the installer script? Do developers read the forums? I see "Register a new idea" in the Get Involved section but it doesn't seem the proper avenue. I quite surprised an option to skip installing a boot loader doesn't exist.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:48 pm

administrollaattori answered already and that's exactly what you want : the option is -b

Code: Select all

ubiquity -b
from a terminal.
Yes it's a terminal option and not in the GUI. But if you want to make an install without bootloader, it should mean that you are familiar enough with linux so as not to be afraid of a terminal.

rhubarbpie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rhubarbpie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 pm

It's not about fear of a terminal. And it's not difficult to overwrite the bootloader installed by Mint.

I'm simply suggesting the installer would be better with an option to not load an installer. I've tested several distributions and that option isn't unknown.

rhubarbpie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rhubarbpie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Oops, it's probably obvious, but I meant the installer would be better with an option to not install a bootloader.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”