Skip boot loader installation option.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
rhubarbpieguy

Skip boot loader installation option.

Post by rhubarbpieguy »

I'd like an option to skip installing a boot loader during installation. Currently the option exists to install such to hard drive or flash media. However, I have a working grub installation with grub.cfg. I don't need or want to overwrite my existing boot loader.

What's the best avenue to suggest the option?
lmintnewb2

Re: Skip boot loader installation option.

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Overall don't know and agree with you that it's handy to have the option of skipping installation of a bootloader. Have often and long since been doing so. Same situation as yours, didn't want a new install taking over the boot process.

One potential and relatively easy solution in this, boot and reinstall the grub-etc for the OS you prefer to be in charge of your systems boot. Could also explore using "efibootmgr" if your pc is an uefi setup and using it to put your preference in charge.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Start installer via Terminal using command

Code: Select all

ubiquity -b
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Can you install it to /dev/null ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rhubarbpie

Post by rhubarbpie »

I'm sorry, I think I was unclear. I know how to correct my grub installation when overwritten by Mint and I'm not looking for work around methods solutions. I'm looking to improve the installer and fix the problem at its root.

My question is simply how to suggest the option be added to the installer script? Do developers read the forums? I see "Register a new idea" in the Get Involved section but it doesn't seem the proper avenue. I quite surprised an option to skip installing a boot loader doesn't exist.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

administrollaattori answered already and that's exactly what you want : the option is -b

Code: Select all

ubiquity -b
from a terminal.
Yes it's a terminal option and not in the GUI. But if you want to make an install without bootloader, it should mean that you are familiar enough with linux so as not to be afraid of a terminal.
rhubarbpie

Post by rhubarbpie »

It's not about fear of a terminal. And it's not difficult to overwrite the bootloader installed by Mint.

I'm simply suggesting the installer would be better with an option to not load an installer. I've tested several distributions and that option isn't unknown.
rhubarbpie

Post by rhubarbpie »

Oops, it's probably obvious, but I meant the installer would be better with an option to not install a bootloader.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”