Time Machine/System Restore alternative

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Time Machine/System Restore alternative

Post by chrisuk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:30 am

I noticed in the Roadmap that a replacement/improvement for Mint Backup was mentioned - notably a Time Machine/System Restore equivalent. Being a long-time Timeshift user, I'd obviously recommend it to be added to Mint, as it's identical in function to the aforementioned Apple and Windows programs.

However, there's another option... I think Timeshift and Backintime are/was based on Flyback, which is no longer actively developed - so how about forking it to Mint?

It's coded in Python, so fits in with the rest of Mint's tools - all of the core functionality is there, including Scheduled Backups - the GUI maybe needs redesigning/tweaking; but the program works OK as is already. Oh, the source code is available for download: version 0.5.0-2 is the latest.

Anyway, just a thought.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”