Linux Mint based on Devuan at 2019.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Erki

Linux Mint based on Devuan at 2019.

Post by Erki »

Hello.

Have been using Linux Mint from version 7. Couple of time donated money. I have installed Mint into my old laptop, my desktop, mom desktop, father laptop, ex-wife laptop and desktop, aunt desktop, my new laptop, uncle laptop, brother laptop. A bif fan of Mint or so...

Until systemd came along. Not explaining why, but this is just crossing the line for me. Right now I have time until 2019 april, when 17.3 support ends.

But thank you for Mint based on Devuan at 2019.
DGMurdockIII
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint based on Devuan at 2019.

Post by DGMurdockIII »

That would be great
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Nah. I like systemd. :mrgreen:

It just works. I'm aware of its theoretical disadvantages because of yesteryear's discussions, but practical quality is the ultimate test. Which it has passed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Been there, looked at doing it... it's no small task. :) Not only would the devs have to dedicate the time to creating the new release, but they'd have to then bug test and support it for the next 3-5 years, add the infrastructure to support it (new pages on the website, a new subforum here), and so on. It would be very nice as an experiment, but I suspect that even if the devs wanted to do this, it would stretch them too thin.

I'm with Pjotr (I think!) - I'm aware of systemd's flaws and limitations, but it works very well. And everyone (well, almost) uses it, so there's a huge amount of support out there. The other init systems just can't compete in that regard.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

There are several distros other than Devuan which offer non-systemd alternatives, which I'm sure folks here know. As I'm primarily a desktop user these days, I don't care in an emotional fashion as long as the systems work well for me. I do like tinkering with some of the non-systemd alternatives just to observe the workings over time and try to compare in a practical way. Mx Linux has been quite successful in putting out a Debian based desktop system sans systemd by default. If I was a server farm administrator, I'd be a bit more careful in how using systemd or sysvinit might affect my overall reliability. I understand that systemd has gained overall prominence among the Linux crowd over the last 4 years, a phenomenon that rather amazes me. The wheel has largely been reinvented as per Redhat, so there you go.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”