Installer needs much improvement.

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
truepurple
Level 1
Level 1

Installer needs much improvement.

Post by truepurple » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 pm

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=249110 as a sample for some of the issues.

A good installer should make it easy to decide for ourselves how we want things set up. Whether it be partitions, LV's, whether /root has it's own partition. Whether swap has its own partition sizes of stuff etc. And thorough explanations of all it will do.

Why is it that manual doesn't accommodate LVM? How come almost no graphical partitioning software does for that matter?

And that box at the beginning, you want to install all this stuff, yes/no. How about giving us a full list and line item deciding, if we want to?

Could it please be made easier to make a persistent live usb? Would you please include flash in your lives/isos. I find it peculiar that Manjaro, a Arch-Linux has flash built into it's ISO, but Mint doesn't.

lyndave
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installer needs much improvement.

Post by lyndave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:28 pm

well i find the installer quite good, do we really want to copy the way other operating systems do things. if we want what other systems provide, than we should just move to that other system. just my opinion

truepurple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by truepurple » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:37 pm

You only want to copy how other OS do things, if they do it good.

Information windows are sparse and unclear to both novice and expert alike. Controls for manual anything are almost non-existent, seems Mint hates to have us control our own installs.

Did you know that LVM experts recommend you leave free space to maximize usage of LVM, without which, there isn't much use for LVM in the first place! But Mint installer dumbly LVs all space.

One can't choose any option to have a swap file instead of a swap partition.

One has to manually make their own partition or LV if they want a separate /home or root, installer doesn't leave any options about it.

Imagine if we could choose our /, /homes, etc not only to have them, but their size, from the installer. I don't know if that is like any other OS, but we deserve that flexibility of choice.

Imagine of the installer was clear about what it would do, in text that could be understood by people not on Mint dev team.

And again, that box about various stuff to install is vague and all encompassing, we deserve the ability to look at it all and individually select if we wish.

I was specific in the first post, I'm being specific in this post, so please don't rudely dismiss and ignore me like that. You are not contributing anything to the conversation that way.
Last edited by truepurple on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:23 pm

truepurple wrote:...
Image if we could choose our /, /homes, etc not only to have them, but their size, from the installer. I don't know if that is like any other OS, but we deserve that flexibility of choice.
Using the "Something else" option, you can choose or create your / and /home partitions. While creating them, you can specify their size.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

truepurple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by truepurple » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 pm

I found no option to make a partition, maybe make it a little easier to find then. And what about LVM? is there a option in something else somewhere to establish LVM and LVs of your choice of size and quantity? If not, there should be.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:25 am

truepurple wrote:I found no option to make a partition, maybe make it a little easier to find then. And what about LVM? is there a option in something else somewhere to establish LVM and LVs of your choice of size and quantity? If not, there should be.
The LVM option is separate. I don't know anything about installing Mint using that option.

There are 5 options when installing Mint, with descriptions. See pic.
install3-57f690453df78c690f38c97f.png
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

lyndave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lyndave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:50 am

i am sorry if i offended you true purple with my comment , however i did say just my opinion and you have no need to get upset or rude.
if manjaro has what you need and linux mint does not, then it only makes sense to go to manjaro instead of complaining. again this is just my opinion and i have no intent on offending anyone

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”