Single instance applications

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
endusermint
Level 2
Level 2

Single instance applications

Post by endusermint » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:50 pm

It seems to me that getting impatient with a slow loading app, or just clicking fast (race conditions?) can cause me to open multiple instances of the same app (stacked visually in the same spot so I am unaware how many openings have occoured) : This seems to be related to the fact that some failed launches simply drop after the wheel spin without specifying why.

My suggestions are: Make a means for certain apps (user chosen) to be foregrounded and single instance (upon user discretion) so I cant have 33 skypes open even when I want five firefoxes

And

If the wheel spin icon drops or crashes how about an auto log load feature (make failpoint pop up in a terminal with the reason it failed)

When the wheel just drops dead and I know the terminal can tell me more I often wonder why they wont just auto popup the log file of the drop

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”