First time Linux user's experience with Mint.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
KJX

First time Linux user's experience with Mint.

Post by KJX »

Hello, absolutely new user to Linux and Mint Linux. A fairly experienced user with Windows systems though. Here are my thoughts of the first day :) Hopefuly my thoughts my help design Mint (especially the installation and beginning) to be even easier for new users:

mint thoughts

1. Wasn't sure which USB installer to use to install the .iso of Mint. Tried Rufus but it said something about syslinux files being date mismatched somewhere... So I just tried Yumi instead but it failed to launch from the USB (game me a grub panel where it wanted me to write something hmm) then tried USB universal from pendrivelinux and it worked with it. I wish it was written anywhere what is the recommended program to install Mint from. It wasn't even mentioned in the user guide I think. It might seem like a small thing but for a completely-new-to-linux user it can be a hassle. Luckily I was an experienced user and knew many programs I could use, but for a less experienced user this could mean no Linux.

2. there is no dedicated installation guide aside from the one in the user guide which is already hard to find and many new users might not bother hoping the installation guide is there. I would like to suggest an installation guide on the website, perhaps linked from the download page?

3. installation options arent really well defined. I didn't know what LVA (I think) was. It's some kind of volume something but still unsure whether I need it. Also not sure what encryption is used (in the option) and what it really does. If the OS is focused on new to Linux mac/win users then these ought to be explained (everything should hopefuly)

4. I didn't like it that the third party software is offered in a bundle. Why not add a choice to the user to mark which specific programs he wants and which ones he doesn't?

5. Upon installing mint, I'm "assaulted' by KDE wallet service (what is that!) asking me to encrypt something --- I've no idea what it's talking about :D GNE didn't work so I go with classic without having any idea what it all means. Still don't know. Not expained anywhere, not even in the user guide.

6. Installing .sh games from GOG is a hassle as you have to use the terminal to make them executable. Wouldn't it be easier if the setups like those could optionally run by simply double clicking (or right-clicking and selecting an apropriate entry) + entering psw? Would be much faster and user friendlier and probably so easy to make it happen. As a new Linux user I would have never found a way to install the .sh games by myself. And this is GOG we're talking about - one of the major sources of Linux games. If Mint is focused on new users then hopefully such inconveniences could at least optionally be circumvented as well.

7. Will report this in appropriate forum section as well but just wanted to say I've also encountered some big technical problems in the end. I'll post a link to the forum entry here once I've written it.
Edit: Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=252026&p=1355681#p1355681

Lastly, a HUGE thanks to Mint community on the IRC chat system! So happy access there was preinstalled. And people in both channels were super helpful and nice.
MintBean

Re: First time Linux user's experience with Mint.

Post by MintBean »

1. The recommendation is to install from DVD as per the user manual but yes, it would be nice to have USB options documented.
2. Disagree here. The link to the installation guide and release notes are right next to links to the downloads, unless you somehow went in through a different route? https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php If new users decide not to bother reading the user guide I really think there's not a lot you can do. Would renaming it to 'Installation and user guide' improve things maybe?
3. I agree there's room for improvement here.
4. What third party software bundle? Are you talking about codecs?
6. Issues like this really need to be tackled at the vendor end. It's always worth approaching them with suggestions and the community has achieved great things by doing this in the past; for example getting Netflix to fully support Linux clients.
KJX

Post by KJX »

MintBean wrote: 4. What third party software bundle? Are you talking about codecs?
6. Issues like this really need to be tackled at the vendor end. It's always worth approaching them with suggestions and the community has achieved great things by doing this in the past; for example getting Netflix to fully support Linux clients.
4. Yes I think they are generally referred to as codecs though I think the term is inaccurate as those are full programs to play media. However there are many kinds of programs that all work on Mint and some users might prefer one over the other so might want to uncheck certain programs/codecs from the bundle while keeping the others.

6. I agree GOG could improve this on their own end, however the way Linux treats .sh files is for Linux to improve (if that is deemed beneficial).
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

RE 4: The only dependency that looks like a full program is VLC and you'll probably find that VLC is used behind the scenes to provide certain multimedia support even if you don't explicitly run the program yourself. The only real reason there's a separate option to install the codecs is that they contain commercial IP not under the GPL license. In my opinion, giving the users fine grained control over which to install could lead to a lot of potential questions and confusion.

RE 6: Your idea is not bad. There is an ideas section where you could raise it if you want.
KJX

Post by KJX »

Thanks for clarifying #4. I was quite sure there were other full fledged programs other than VLC which I consider rather trustworthy though I prefer Media Player Classic (same developers I think) on Windows and sadly it is not available on Linux.

Where exactly could I propose the #6 please?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The suggestions and new ideas section which this post is in. Just create another suitably titled thread stating the idea.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

KJX wrote:5. Upon installing mint, I'm "assaulted' by KDE wallet service (what is that!) asking me to encrypt something --- I've no idea what it's talking about :D GNE didn't work so I go with classic without having any idea what it all means. Still don't know. Not expained anywhere, not even in the user guide.
System settings > Account Details > uncheck Enable the KDE wallet subsystem
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@KJX
Hang in there.
Hang around this forum, continue asking good questions--the fog will lift
btw your observations are good feedback
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Sorry for the rather late response, going through tabs I opened a few days back & didn't get round to reading.
KJX wrote:Media Player Classic
I find that smplayer is a good alternative; similar functionality to MPC-HC (Can't remember the difference with the "Home Cinema" version of MPC) which I used to use with Windows.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Ryvius

Post by Ryvius »

For #6, I'm pretty sure many file managers lets you right-click the file, go to Properties and then somewhere mark the file as executable, so you don't need to do it by command line.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Ryvius wrote:For #6, I'm pretty sure many file managers lets you right-click the file, go to Properties and then somewhere mark the file as executable, so you don't need to do it by command line.
Yes, in 18.2 KDE it's under Permissions; a single checkbox "Is Executable" sets it globally.

You can set Owner, Group, Others individually via the Advanced button, by clicking within the appropriate columns to toggle the green"tick".
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”