Ability To Choose Which Programs Get Installed During Installlation

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
miketurn

Ability To Choose Which Programs Get Installed During Installlation

Post by miketurn »

Hello Everyone,

Would be nice to be able to choose what programs get installed during the installation of Linux Mint.
It is obviously nice that Linux Mint provides an assortment of programs, but not every user is going to want/need them all.
The option to be able to choose would be a nice feature to add to the installation process of Linux Mint if possible.

Thank You
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Ability To Choose Which Programs Get Installed During Installlation

Post by xenopeek »

This has been suggested before and this is not something Linux Mint is considering.
Linux Mint prefers to keep installation as easy as possible and not add more (optional) questions.
People can easily add and remove programs to fit their needs after installation.
miketurn

Re: Ability To Choose Which Programs Get Installed During Installlation

Post by miketurn »

Thank You for your response, I apologize I did not realize this was mentioned before.
If this is not a desired feature to be added to Linux Mint that is fine, but it could be implemented into the installation without creating more screens (by screens I mean moments where user have to click a "next" button)
At the moment I don't remember all the different screens of the Linux Mint installation, but this could be added without creating any more screens for users who choose not to use it. Meaning a little check box and message ("Manually choose programs to be installed") could be added to the bottom of one of the already existing installation screens. If a user decides to not check the box on that specific screen then it would just continue with the installation. This way it is not forcing anyone to have to use it, but it is there as an option.

As mentioned above if this is just not a desired feature to be added then that is a different story.
Anyways, thank you again for your response, and for a great OS.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”