Focus more on productivity

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
leminat

Focus more on productivity

Post by leminat »

Hello. First, I want to say that I've been using mint for a week. I really like mint, but maybe you can focus more on productivity of the users. Maybe add some programs for productivity by default on install, or develop a new one. It would be really cool if the distro itself would motivate you to work. I don't know if this is the suggestion you are looking for. If it is, I have an idea for a productivity program someone could make
MintBean

Re: Focus more on productivity

Post by MintBean »

The Mint team create the OS and a basic set of system software intrinsic to the OS (file manager, update manager etc.) They're not in the business of creating application software.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

leminat wrote:I have an idea for a productivity program someone could make
Yes, go on.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
leminat

Post by leminat »

Well, the idea is based on this https://www.reddit.com/r/getdisciplined ... f/cdah4af/ . It would be good if there was a program to check if you did something every day, and the wallpaper would change every day displaying number of days in a row you did something to improve yourself
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The trouble with ideas like this is that they're really quick to come up with, but take quite a bit of effort to implement, which is not to say it's a bad idea at all, in fact I quite like it. You've two options:
1) Learn to program and implement it yourself.
2) Find someone who can code to team up with. It's unlikely you'll find such a person here. Maybe you could get a freelance coder to price the task up and raise some money to do it. If not, post about it on general programming sites with more footfall and see if anyone is interested.

Python should be more than up to the task, so I suggest a Python programming site.

As a starter for 10, you could add some events to your calendar (for example in Thunderbird if you use it) at daily or weekly intervals to remind you how many days since you started doing some activity.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

leminat wrote:Well, the idea is based on this https://www.reddit.com/r/getdisciplined ... f/cdah4af/ . It would be good if there was a program to check if you did something every day, and the wallpaper would change every day displaying number of days in a row you did something to improve yourself
Not clear to me that ought to even be a Linux app, as compared with an online tool like ToDoist (there may well be others):

https://en.todoist.com/web

There's also an Android app for it - seems you'd want something that's accessible regardless whether sitting in front of a particular desktop PC.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”