Feedback from a noob user here

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
TheRed-

Feedback from a noob user here

Post by TheRed- »

Hi friends, I found linux mint the best linux distributions. The Cinnamon DE is very rock solid and, in general the Mint Cinnamon version is ready (almost) out of the box. Here I want to share with you some things whici I've found improvable:

- Install TLP by default. (Remember I'm a noob user, so I don't know why my laptop battery life is so poor)
- Turn on the firewall by default
- Install rar and p7zip by default.
- Improve the design of the Software Manager. All that grey is horrible.
- The panel windows list is absolutely not good. I replaced it with "Icing Task Manager", but remember I'm noob user and I would like a better windows list by default like this extension
- Improve the trackpad gesture (like in Mac)
- Notification when new Mint version is available!!!
- Allow the ctrl+c and ctrl+v buttons when copy/paste on terminal by default

And if possible:
- The Mint-Y theme is fine, but not enough. Improve the overall design. This part I think is very important...some my friends avoided Mint Cinnamon because of the design. Look for example the Apple notebook, it's fine and many people love it.
- Make the panel semi transparent (without extensions) and bigger by default. Again, look for example Kde Plasma design.. it's absolutely wonderful..
- Install by default "Night Light"
- Possibility to change panels layout (included global menù, etc.) like in Ubuntu Mate (MATE Tweak Tool in Panel section).

You team is awesome, you work hard and I know that you can do more, I know!!

All the best :)

EDIT: I added new tips
Last edited by TheRed- on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheRed-

Re: Feedback from a noob user here

Post by TheRed- »

Aren't these tips useful?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

You've got some good ideas there. Probably the reason TLP isn't installed by default is that it's only for laptops, so why install it on desktop computers? There might be some way to figure out during the install process whether it is running on a laptop or a desktop. They could add a checkbox to the installer for "Install laptop-specific programs." Not sure why the firewall isn't turned on by default. In my case, my router has a built in firewall, so it's not really necessary on my computers. I would guess the reason rar isn't installed by default is: "This program is shareware and you must register it after 40 days of use." I never use Software Manager, I use Synaptic. Or do you mean Update Manager? I know for myself, and I suspect a lot of other Linux users, functionality is more important than eye candy. I don't care if it's grey, so long as it works. Heck, some of us still do things via command line. No thoughts on the rest of the stuff.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
TheRed-

Post by TheRed- »

jimallyn wrote: Probably the reason TLP isn't installed by default is that it's only for laptops, so why install it on desktop computers? There might be some way to figure out during the install process whether it is running on a laptop or a desktop. They could add a checkbox to the installer for "Install laptop-specific programs."
I think it isn't a problem... TLP weights maybe a few kb..
Not sure why the firewall isn't turned on by default. In my case, my router has a built in firewall, so it's not really necessary on my computers.
Again, I'm noob user and I would that anything works fine.
I would guess the reason rar isn't installed by default is: "This program is shareware and you must register it after 40 days of use." I never use Software Manager, I use Synaptic. Or do you mean Update Manager?

I mean the software center. Again, for a noob user synaptic is too difficult. Much better the software center with icons for each program.
I know for myself, and I suspect a lot of other Linux users, functionality is more important than eye candy. I don't care if it's grey, so long as it works. Heck, some of us still do things via command line. No thoughts on the rest of the stuff.
Of course, but my friends avoided Linux mint and Linux in general because it isn't beautiful...
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

TheRed- wrote:I think it isn't a problem... TLP weights maybe a few kb..
That's not the only consideration. Undoubtedly there is some impact on performance, even if fairly minor. Desktop users won't want it installed.
Of course, but my friends avoided Linux mint and Linux in general because it isn't beautiful...
What do they run, MacOS? Windows isn't exactly beautiful. Something like Linux Deepin is a work of art out of the box, and with the simple application of a theme you can spruce up most Linux desktops. Linux is the king of configurability. With Mint I have a choice of hundreds of icon themes, hundreds of window themes, I can have a MacOS style dock if I choose, animated desktops displaying all manner of continually updated information.

Still, I agree Mint could spruce things up a bit, but they're stuck on that terrible logo and 'worst green you've ever seen.'
TheRed-

Post by TheRed- »

That's not the only consideration. Undoubtedly there is some impact on performance, even if fairly minor. Desktop users won't want it installed.
When power source is plugged TLP automatically maximize the performance.
What do they run, MacOS? Windows isn't exactly beautiful. Something like Linux Deepin is a work of art out of the box, and with the simple application of a theme you can spruce up most Linux desktops. Linux is the king of configurability. With Mint I have a choice of hundreds of icon themes, hundreds of window themes, I can have a MacOS style dock if I choose, animated desktops displaying all manner of continually updated information.
MacOS and Windows interfaces are much more fine than Cinnamon. Cinnamon is the best DE I've ever tried, simple, stable and a better design is the key of its success. I changed the theme, icons and added a dock because the default ones are ugly, IMHO.
Still, I agree Mint could spruce things up a bit, but they're stuck on that terrible logo and 'worst green you've ever seen.'
I agree...
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

MintBean wrote:and 'worst green you've ever seen.'
That's the first thing I get rid of.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

i find linux is far more configurable than windows, linux mint is my os of choice.
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

is TLP is good thing on a laptop or a bad thing
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

lyndave wrote:is TLP is good thing on a laptop or a bad thing
Good... extends battery life. On a desktop it would just be an unnecessary process running.
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

thanks mintbean, i gues i should install it then..... :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”