ISO downloader via update/synaptic

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

ISO downloader via update/synaptic

Post by 1.618 »

Don't know if anyone has suggested this before, haven't seen the option anywhere within mint but i am still using 17.0 so if it's already available I've clearly missed it! :)

When a new distro is released we have to torrent/download it via the mint website, would be cool if maybe there was an option within update manager or maybe synaptic to view available ISO 's and download them directly to ones system without install, thus avoiding the need for a web browser to start the download going, I don't know the technical stuff but would be like a repository for ISO rather than individual packages. all you need is a little bit of info about each distro (can be copy pasted from website) and maybe a 'more info' link to the corresponding mint download page

could even push the boat out and have a burn to disc option too and have the whole process automated, but that might be pushing it.

Or this could make a cool stand alone app... ?

Just a thought
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: ISO downloader via update/synaptic

Post by catweazel »

There's probably little to no call for this, despite it being a good idea. Releases are announced and people will go and read the announcement then download from a link. If they're like me they'll go their local mirror and download from there instead. For something that might be used once a year, twice if you're lucky, it's probably a lot of work when more important things need attention.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Post by 1.618 »

catweazel wrote:There's probably little to no call for this, despite it being a good idea. Releases are announced and people will go and read the announcement then download from a link. If they're like me they'll go their local mirror and download from there instead. For something that might be used once a year, twice if you're lucky, it's probably a lot of work when more important things need attention.

Cheers.
I personally don't download immediately after reading the release notes but you are right most people would check the notes on release then go for a local mirror. only option I guess would be to have the mirrors listed and maybe be able to download a text file containing the release note within synaptic/update manager. :)

I just thought it might be handy for people who are testing loads of distros

one thing that did occur is you would be downloading as root, not sure if that would be wise for a longer download that doesn't actually require elevated priviliges.
JeffFromOhio

Post by JeffFromOhio »

You could use an ftp client from the CLI, or setup a local rsync repo to rsync the latest iso's (and could use an rsync exclude file to prevent older iso's from downloading). Just a thought, to help you achieve what it sounds like you want.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”