App request: messengers and some other stuff

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Corlack

App request: messengers and some other stuff

Post by Corlack »

Hello! I'm using Mint for more than a year and very happy with it. Yet some apps I had to install manually and I would love to see them in the Software Manager. Most of them are distributed by creators through deb or sh files.
1. Telegram
2. Skype (not the old one, the new one by Microsoft)
3. Viber
4. MS Visual Code
5. NetBeans
6. VeraCrypt
7. Tor Browser
8. Opera (not the old one, the new one).
All of them are free are widely used so I can't see the reason why they are not in the Software Manager. Would love to see them in the nest release.

Upd. Also, it would be cool if Software Manager had such a feature as saving the list of your installed apps in a file, so in case of system reinstalling you could install (select / at least know what to search for manually) the apps of your choice with one click. Thanks.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: App request: messengers and some other stuff

Post by BG405 »

Glad you're enjoying using Mint!

There is one item in that list I would not want to see in the repos, because simply searching for it is apparently enough to attract attention from various agencies. There have been recent items on the TV discussing this sort of thing.

Not sure what Viber and NetBeans are?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lyndave »

as far as a list of installed apps, i just have a list on a note pad saved on an external hard drive listing the apps i use
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Mint isn't in the business of packaging and maintaining third party apps. You would need to raise this with Debian package maintainers to see it in Mint.
Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cassi »

BG405 wrote:Glad you're enjoying using Mint!

Not sure what Viber and NetBeans are?
I cannot answer for NetBeans...but Viber is like What'sApp and Skype and other communication apps :-D It is pretty common in Europe!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”