App request: messengers and some other stuff

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Corlack
Level 1
Level 1

App request: messengers and some other stuff

Postby Corlack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 am

Hello! I'm using Mint for more than a year and very happy with it. Yet some apps I had to install manually and I would love to see them in the Software Manager. Most of them are distributed by creators through deb or sh files.
1. Telegram
2. Skype (not the old one, the new one by Microsoft)
3. Viber
4. MS Visual Code
5. NetBeans
6. VeraCrypt
7. Tor Browser
8. Opera (not the old one, the new one).
All of them are free are widely used so I can't see the reason why they are not in the Software Manager. Would love to see them in the nest release.

Upd. Also, it would be cool if Software Manager had such a feature as saving the list of your installed apps in a file, so in case of system reinstalling you could install (select / at least know what to search for manually) the apps of your choice with one click. Thanks.

BG405
Level 5
Level 5

Re: App request: messengers and some other stuff

Postby BG405 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:40 am

Glad you're enjoying using Mint!

There is one item in that list I would not want to see in the repos, because simply searching for it is apparently enough to attract attention from various agencies. There have been recent items on the TV discussing this sort of thing.

Not sure what Viber and NetBeans are?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32--------------------K7S5A Athlon 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 -----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

lyndave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lyndave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am

as far as a list of installed apps, i just have a list on a note pad saved on an external hard drive listing the apps i use

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Mint isn't in the business of packaging and maintaining third party apps. You would need to raise this with Debian package maintainers to see it in Mint.

Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cassi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 pm

BG405 wrote:Glad you're enjoying using Mint!

Not sure what Viber and NetBeans are?

I cannot answer for NetBeans...but Viber is like What'sApp and Skype and other communication apps :-D It is pretty common in Europe!

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”