The Brave Browser in Mint Repositories

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

The Brave Browser in Mint Repositories

Post by walterdowis »

Hi all,
The Brave Browser is looking very good. I installed it on my Android phone and I love it. Any change the Brave Browser will be placed in Mint's repositories?
minitux

Re: The Brave Browser in Mint Repositories

Post by minitux »

I do not think it will happen, only if it is inserted into Ubuntu repositories, but this seems to me a remote option
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

They have a repository for Ubuntu and Debian that you can add to your system https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop ... Install.md to install and update it. They also have a snap package for easy installation on Ubuntu and other distros that support snap. With both of these option you can install it on all Linux Mint versions (64-bit systems only as Brave Browser doesn't support 32-bit).
Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cassi »

So I had never heard of the Brave Browser....I went to the site to check it out......am I correct in understanding that the only version available for Mint is a developer version? so another words there is not a "stable" packet available?
Thanks
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is no "stable version" of Brave - - as yet.

coz it's still in heavy development.
8)
but if you want to use it, you can do so, but do realise that they are a long way from the Final Product.

it's sorta like another Opera Browser, but still is being developed.

note: most program are not supplied by LinuxMint,
but rather from upstream from either Ubuntu or Debian.
& therefore it will have to be made available in their repository, in order for any LinuxMint user to find it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cassi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cassi »

Thank you Pierre :-)
I am very new to Linux and Mint, however, my bf uses it so he has made sure that I know where to "shop" for the apps that I want and need as well as making sure that during learning curve I would not get frustrated by tweaking things for me....and the gurus at diaspora have been amazing at answering questions and giving advise and solutions and suggestions :-) So knowing to go upstream I am ok with...I just wanted to make sure since I am not very dev-y at all that I was not missing the "stable version" somewhere :-)
I would love to hear about it when it does make it to the Ubuntu or Deb package options :-)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”