Setting To Lower CPU Performance Before Having To Increase Fan Speed

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
miketurn

Setting To Lower CPU Performance Before Having To Increase Fan Speed

Post by miketurn »

Doubt something like this would be added, but in Windows 7 and I would imagine other versions, there is an option/setting in the "Power Options" that is called "System Cooling Policy" which you can set to "passive" or "active".
What this settting does is allows the user to be able to choose between two options....
One keeps the CPU performance speed at 100% and increases the fan speed to cool it.
The other allows for the CPU performance to be lowered in order to not have to increase the fan speed.

This option is a very nice thing to have especially for labtops where fan noise can get quite annoying.
As I mentioned, probably not something others may care about, but hopefully something like this can be considered as something that can be built into Linux Mint.
To be honest I am shocked to see it in a Windows product, but I am glad that it is there.

Thank You
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Setting To Lower CPU Performance Before Having To Increase Fan Speed

Post by KBD47 »

Are you looking for something like this?
http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-lin ... ement.html
Also some DE's like Xfce had options in power management to choose power saving, and power management itself allows you to choose when to suspend, etc.
miketurn

Post by miketurn »

@KBD47
Thank you for the response, it looks like it might be similar, I am not quite sure, it mentions it can cut the frequency of the CPU which I believe is the same as "underclocking" to some degree, but it does not say on this page if there is a setting to underclock the performance of the CPU instead of increasing the fan speed when things start getting a little hot.

Sorry about that I forgot to mention that I am currently using Cinnamon, which I do not believe contains anything like this.
Hopefully something like this will be considered some day to be added to Linux Mint, not something I would have thought of, was shocked when I found that Windows had this option.
Labtop fans can get so noisy, a simple little addition like this to Linux Mint Power settings would be a nice addition.

Thanks Again
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

There is something you may find interesting on my Linux Mint MATE distribution. It comes standard: no need to search and install. You are on Cinnamon but Cinnamon is bigger than MATE, so maybe you will find something similar on your distribution. Here it is:
  1. Right-click in a free area on the Control Panel.
  2. Choose to add elements.
  3. Search for something like "Processor Frequency Change Monitor."
  4. Add.
This applet does more than just monitor the processor frequency; it lets you choose from 5 different modes, like "Power save", "Performance", or "On demand"... Just click on the little icon in the bottom-right tray to select from different modes.

It does not have any direct control on your fan. But if your fan turns on even when in CPU "Power save" mode, well, it is to prevent overheating...
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
miketurn

Post by miketurn »

@sebastjava
Thank you for your response, I looked through my taskbar "applets" list and I unfortunately don't see anything like this in Cinnamon. The only thing I see is a "Power Manager" but this applet only show a couple of options of how to show your laptop battery icon / charged % status.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”