Plans to switch to Xenforo? I'll pay.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
revian

Plans to switch to Xenforo? I'll pay.

Post by revian »

I have been a moderator on other forums and recently two of those forums switched to Xenforo forums platform. I was wondering.. I would be willing to pay the full price for the Xenforo license if the Linux Mint team would be willing to switch these forums over. Would the Linux Mint team be willing to switch if someone paid for the software license? I've been looking for a way to contribute to the Linux Mint community and I feel that this would benefit everyone. I realize that this type of switch would involve a bit of work, and I would even be willing to help where needed. I'm very good with graphics and I'd be willing to help create a "Mint" theme for the Xenforo forums (I can link to my graphics examples if needed).
MintBean

Re: Plans to switch to Xenforo? I'll pay.

Post by MintBean »

Personally I would rather the forums stuck with free software. You don't mention in what way Xenforo would actually improve the forums?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

MintBean wrote:Personally I would rather the forums stuck with free software.
+1

Call me a purist if you like.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
revian

Post by revian »

jimallyn wrote:
MintBean wrote:Personally I would rather the forums stuck with free software.
+1

Call me a purist if you like.
No worries, everyone will have a different opinion. I was just stating that I would be willing to pay the entire cost of upgrading out of my own pocket if the upgrade is ever an option.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The offer to pay for the license is gracious. We've looked at other forum software (both free and non-free) last year but phpBB remains our first choice (has the most pros and least cons, for us), and we do prefer to use free software (free as in open source). I hadn't heard about XenForo before so I've tried a demo. At first glance the differences I could spot were that XenForo has a WYSIWYG editor and lets you set tags on threads while phpBB uses BBCodes and doesn't have tags. I do miss some moderator options (like splitting or merging threads, the former we use a lot). Otherwise from both user and moderator or admin perspective it seems to mostly have the same general functionality, if presented differently. Can you explain what your attraction to XenForo is over phpBB?
revian

Post by revian »

xenopeek wrote:The offer to pay for the license is gracious. We've looked at other forum software (both free and non-free) last year but phpBB remains our first choice (has the most pros and least cons, for us), and we do prefer to use free software (free as in open source). I hadn't heard about XenForo before so I've tried a demo. At first glance the differences I could spot were that XenForo has a WYSIWYG editor and lets you set tags on threads while phpBB uses BBCodes and doesn't have tags. I do miss some moderator options (like splitting or merging threads, the former we use a lot). Otherwise from both user and moderator or admin perspective it seems to mostly have the same general functionality, if presented differently. Can you explain what your attraction to XenForo is over phpBB?
During, and after, the switchover when I was on staff at that other forum, the benefits were speed and many new resource management features versus what we were using. I don't remember what we were using before the switch, but it wasn't phpBB (I keep wanting to say vBullet). I do remember that Xenforo was chosen over phpBB and SMF, so we weren't on phpBB to begin with. Whatever it was, Xenforo was a huge improvement. I grew to love the Xenforo platform and was only wanting your team to know that I would be willing to foot the bill should you all ever decide to switch.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”