KDE Installlation after 18.3

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
bartelsmr

KDE Installlation after 18.3

Post by bartelsmr »

I am relatively new to Linux Mint, and am on Linux Mint KDE 18.1, and love it!

It was with great dismay that I heard KDE won't be supported after Mint 18.

My request is simple - make KDE easy to install beside Cinnamon or Mate.

Ideally, one "apt install" (even if it takes a while to execute). Something like this seems appropriate given the discontinuance of the Mint KDE install.

I'm disappointed regardless, as I had installed KDE also via Kubuntu, and mostly liked Mint's version better. Little things like Luna II worked better in Mint, aesthetics were better in Mint.

On old hardware, I'm using Cinnamon or Mate, but still much prefer KDE, and use it if the hardware is up to the task.

Regardless, thanks for the wonderful distro. Please keep up the good work!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: KDE Installlation after 18.3

Post by JoeFootball »

Have a look at the great discussion in this thread.

I share in your disappointment, but keep in mind that 18.x will be supported until 2021. :)

Joe
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That is already possible by installing the kubuntu-desktop package. Probably you would want to add the Kubuntu backports PPA first to get newer versions of KDE. There's a little more to it than that to do it safely (like with the display manager, and you might want to just get KDE not all the Kubuntu presets). I'll cover this in a tutorial around release of Linux Mint 19. I will be using Linux Mint 19 Xfce as a base for that as Xfce is easiest to remove, for users that want a pure KDE install.

Mind that one of the Linux Mint developers recommends not to mix Cinnamon and KDE: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=256024&start=20#p1380782
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

JoeFootball wrote:keep in mind that 18.x will be supported until 2021. :)
Keep in mind that KDE packages are only supported till April 2019!
I've clarified support periods here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=256024&start=20#p1380833

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”