Many ideas for Linux Mint.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
wolnerberg

Many ideas for Linux Mint.

Post by wolnerberg »

Hi, my name is Wolner and i'am from Brazil.

First point: sorry for my english! kkk

I use Linux Mint in my Dell Inspiron 5458 notebook.

My ideas are:

- On calendar widget, make an option for 2 lines. It is important to configure clock and date in separated lines, like Windows 7, 8 and 10. Or like XFCE option "clok then date".

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5deq5W1HlCA/V ... Bclock.jpg

- On Cinnamon, the windows list can will be able to transform in dock natively, like "KDE Alternatives", or Cinnamon "CobiWindowsList" extension.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/files/ ... -Group.jpg

- In my hardware and any laptops/notebooks, Linux Mint is like Bugatti Veyron W16 on energy consuption. For resolve this, the aplication TLP will be installed for default. Whithout TLP, my battery have a 3 hour lifetime (and i have a SSD!). With TLP, i have 10 hours. It's a big difference!

TLP website: http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html

- In Xreader, will be able to have an option to do "rever options(F6 on Okular)", like annotations, comments, and more.... like Okular! Evince have this options.
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/pt/kdegraph ... ations.png

Well, it is my ideas for today. Sorry for my english again!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Many ideas for Linux Mint.

Post by all41 »

Hi wolnerberg,
Hey--welcome aboard the forum.
Your english is not a problem here amigo.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
greywolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greywolf »

- In my hardware and any laptops/notebooks, Linux Mint is like Bugatti Veyron W16 on energy consuption. For resolve this, the aplication TLP will be installed for default. Whithout TLP, my battery have a 3 hour lifetime (and i have a SSD!). With TLP, i have 10 hours. It's a big difference!
TLP is in the repos. Just install with

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt install tlp
set it up and use it to your hearts content.

Not all laptops need it installed by default.

Welcome by the way, and your English is just fine.
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Hi wolnerberg
- On calendar widget, make an option for 2 lines. It is important to configure clock and date in separated lines, like Windows 7, 8 and 10. Or like XFCE option "clok then date".
There's a method of editing the json file as described here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4935

I just had a quick play with it and got the date and time to show on different lines in the panel. Didn't get as far as centering the output but maybe possible with a bit more effort? Guess it would be nice to have a GUI option, but at least there's a way to do it if needed. (Edit: Not sure about non-Cinnamon editions?)
wolnerberg

Post by wolnerberg »

@all41: Thanks!

@greywolf: i know that TLP can be installed on de official repos. The problem is: LM want to be a easy linux distribuition. One newbie in Linux and LM will see a energy consumption like a problem! And this, maybe discourage the person to use LM.

Because this, i suggest - maybe - TLP can will be installed by defaut to resolve this problem. Not only TLP, maybe another program.

@Mick-Cork: Man, i love you! Your help was alwesome! I always wanted to do this! And works propertly! LM can will be able to configure this with a more easy way.

PS: to centralize, i use [space]. =P

And well, how i say, i have one more suggestion: LM will be able to configure date and time from a easy way, grafically, and with more configurations.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wolnerberg wrote: i suggest - maybe - TLP can will be installed by defaut to resolve this problem. Not only TLP, maybe another program.
I don't think that's a good idea. Not all Mint users have laptops and not all of them care about energy consumption.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
wolnerberg

Post by wolnerberg »

@Moem: I understand you, but, think with me...

Windows or like other SO have programs and softwares include itself to reduce energy consuption, and it is installed by default, if is installed on desktop or not.

LM don't have any program to reduce energy consuption efficently.

My idea to include TLP is for i don't know another program to do this efficiently.

The idea in question is: LM should have a program/code/software (anything) to reduce energy consuption include by default in the system. Maybe will be installed only in hardware with batteries, but should have in the iso.

And it will be a TLP, laptop-mode-tools, or another software include in Cinnamon Settings by default in system. Exist many ways to include this, and many ideas to this work, like i say, installed on hardware installation that have bateries, etc...

If LM want to be a easy SO in Linux world, it should will have this function for make LM more popular, easy to use and atract more people to it.

Newbies don't know about TLP, laptop-mode-tools and another software to reduce energy consuption. Newbies expect that the system works properly, like Windows that he used previousely (the more common case).

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”