Make KDE obsolete by adding its unique features to cinnamon

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Make KDE obsolete by adding its unique features to cinnamon

Post by frisil »

Hi,
as the KDE Edition will be dropped, why not make it obsolete at all? For me and a lot of people I know there is just one reason to really use KDE: activities. To be able to have different desktops for different things and being able to switch between them on the fly. I for instance have a home office desktop with a folder view widget for work related files and icons for libreoffice, banking software and an email app I only use for my work related address. Then I have an internet desktop with download folder widget and a huge transfer speed widget that fills the bottom of the screen, and icons for firefox, chromium-browser and jdownloader. My writing desktop has a folder widget for a folder in my document folder on the left and a spideroak cloud folder on the right and icons for kabikaboo and gummi. And so on. I don't really like to use KDE because developement is a going in a direction I do not like (no need to discuss it here). If I coud do these things with Cinnamon, I would be glad to switch. And I know quite some people who think the same way.

So, is it possible to add something like activities to Cinnamon? I think it would be a killer feature. Basically, it "only" needs to support different wallpapers and widgets for each workspace (and the ability to save different workspace settings and restore them when creating or dropping workspaces on the fly).
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Make KDE obsolete by adding its unique features to cinnamon

Post by catweazel »

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Make KDE obsolete by adding its unique features to cinnamon

Post by frisil »

Why be against it? If a feature is build in, you don't have to use it if you don't want it. It won't change Cinnamon as it is, it just offers more possibilities for people who want them. Others could use Cinnamon the same way as before.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”