various flavours of mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

various flavours of mint

Post by NiksaVel »

What do you guys think about starting a new sort of flavours of mint in the later releases... what I have in mind:

Linux Mint Light - same as now... CD sized, no proprietary stuff...

Linux Mint Basic - the default settings with Gnome and CD size (a regular release)

Linux Mint Featherweight - a lightweight edition based on XFCE, optimised for older hardware

Linux Mint Premium - sorta a replacement for KDE edition - make this a DVD sized edition with BOTH KDE and Gnome installed as well as a bunch of other stuff, but keep it to a small size as possible for people with bandwidth limitations

Linux Mint Ultimate - An ultimate collection of quality linux software with miltiple WMs installed by default - KDE, Gnome, XFCE, IceWM, Enlightenment... as well as a bunch of software - OOo and Koffice etc... till we fill up the entire DVD...

I know I could use with such a variety .... maybe some of you as well?

before you start throwing stones at me: :D
sure... the names of the flavours might stink of vista a bit, but this is just an idea to see what you all think about - especially clem :) it can easier be changed later to something less corporate
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

perhaps it's an overkill... but still I'd like to have mint with both KDE and Gnome with appropriate apps preinstalled....

I've just installed KDE over Bianca KDE and found out it's quite a hassle to get it all together especially without any extra knowledge about KDE or making distros....
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I don't like the idea of having KDE and Gnome installed on the same system, it results in bloat or inadequate use of applications. For this reason I'd rather see people choose between a KDE and a Gnome edition. Of course it's possible to bring both WM together but it's not something I would personally do.

Now if somebody want to make a community edition with both desktops in it I have no problem with that. I suggest a name like spearmint (as used by the XFCE Community Edition) is used instead of Linux Mint something.. to indicate that this is a project driven by the community and not by Linux Mint itself but that it's derived or directly linked to it.

Clem
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

I don't know how to make these cds but I would like to suggest a Linux Mint Beginner's Guide LiveCD.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid idea.

I'm thinking Linux Mint Full Edition littered with tutorials not just of Linux Mint but software manuals for the software bundled with it but also how to manuals for the tasks associated with those softwares.

Stuff like:

Pre-installed bookmarks of helpful forum topics/rss feed for Firefox. (Even set to read offline if possible)

Pre-installed documentations found on the web set as pdfs.

Entire wiki based documentations. (I don't know how it's possible but I think if someone can make an offline wikipedia then it's probably much more plausible than impossible)

Video tutorials

Sound tutorials

Pre-set podcats/audiocasts and audiobook files

Mini-tutorials set to be read for ppc/palm

Reminders

Flash cards

I guess what I'm trying to get at is a specialized LiveCD that's an alternative to books for Linux and at the same time, an alternative method for those people who prefer to read about a manual of a software for Linux first before downloading them.

In my uninformed opinion, it sounds more practical for me if the learning tool is bundled with the actual tool even if it sacrifices readability because it saves me time actually searching for that information.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”