Install ONLY necessary fonts by default, please!

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
loveLM

Install ONLY necessary fonts by default, please!

Post by loveLM »

Hey dear LinuxMint Team,

I've loved LM the first time I use it, largely because it's very minimal and I love to keep things simple. However, I do find it extremely annoying that many languages such as various Indian dialects, Khmer, Lao, Thai, Japanese, Arabic etc are installed by default. I had to spent extra time removing them one by one, as I don't want them to load in my font selector in Libre or Gimp. I would never need them. I suggest that those made optional. People who need those languages can install them from Software Manager themselves.

Meanwhile, some useful fonts such as the microsoft ones would be good to have, and installed by default if possible, as they're needed widely because we have to deal with non-linux users on a daily basis.

Thank you for the consideration.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Install ONLY necessary fonts by default, please!

Post by tenfoot »

+1 for that suggestion.

One of the first things I do on a new installation is to remove all foreign language fonts.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
JCH2

Re: Install ONLY necessary fonts by default, please!

Post by JCH2 »

+2 for that suggestion.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”