Forum-related suggestion / thoughts...

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Forum-related suggestion / thoughts...

Post by thx-1138 »

...lots of people posting questions don't provide inxi -Fxz results unless they're explicity asked to, thereby a pretty typical q&a workflow quite frequently goes like this:

Q: I have this, and that, then i added the other one, and this one now does another thing, which looks like yet another thing but previously with the former thing etc etc... :D
A: (...after the magic crystal ball failed): please post the results of inxi -Fxz...

So, what i was thinking was, that maybe it would be useful & speed things up:
Under "Announcements", a separate "READ: How to use inxi!" guide (with easy-to-follow pictures maybe?), on how to do that under all desktops.
And the pink-ish 'Forum rules', it could be modified to "Before you post please try using inxi & read how to get help", with the using inxi part obviously hyper-linking to the proposed guide above.

Or instead of a wholly 'separate' inxi guide, maybe the READ:How to get help page could simply be updated with a more 'colorful' & easily-impressed inxi guide...but i think you get the idea overall...
Last edited by thx-1138 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Forum-related suggestion / thoughts...

Post by Cosmo. »

Problem is: Too many people don't read, especially not in an announcement thread, also not what is written in colors and sometimes not even advices in replies. Proof: Too many threads are opened in the wrong section, although it would be enough to read, which do exist. Another proof: There was for some time a pinned thread how to mark a topic as solved. I have not count the cases, where at the same time exactly this question has been asked.

So - the idea is good, but it will not work.
Faust

Post by Faust »

My personal peeve is that so many queries could be solved instantly , simply by typing a few carefully chosen words in the search box
and perhaps that feature should be much more " in your face " .
It would certainly save a lot of typing for many people .
How many threads have started with " No WiFi " or " Brightness problem " ?

And I agree that pinned threads or " stickies " can be useful in some places and purely as examples : the Linux sub forums on Bleeping Computer and MDL (My Digital Life)
work well , with a box of sticky topics at the head of each section .
But every forum has it's own style , quirks and "feel " , and I find what I need here easily , so these are not criticisms ...

.... just my 2 kopeks :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cosmo. wrote:Problem is: Too many people don't read, especially not in an announcement thread, also not what is written in colors and sometimes not even advices in replies.
This is true... some people seem to think this forum is a write-only medium :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”