Consider preinstalling Waterfox starting from Linux Mint 19. Firefox cannot be trusted anymore.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Consider preinstalling Waterfox starting from Linux Mint 19. Firefox cannot be trusted anymore.

Post by Moem »

I love Waterfox, but I believe the project is pretty young and doesn't have much support. It doesn't seem quite ready to be preinstalled instead of Firefox.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Consider preinstalling Waterfox starting from Linux Mint 19. Firefox cannot be trusted anymore.

Post by jimallyn »

dark wrote:Watch Bryan Lunduke video to know why.
And watch it, and watch it, and watch it. I put up with 7 minutes and 15 seconds of it, and he still hadn't got to the point. Blah, blah, blah. If he has something to say, he needs to learn how to say it faster. I gave up.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote:I put up with 7 minutes and 15 seconds of it, and he still hadn't got to the point.
That's not a bad achievement for a 2:23 video :lol:

EDIT: OOPS! I clicked on the next video :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Faust

Post by Faust »

jimallyn wrote:
And watch it, and watch it, and watch it. I put up with 7 minutes and 15 seconds of it, and he still hadn't got to the point. Blah, blah, blah. If he has something to say, he needs to learn how to say it faster. I gave up.
He is certainly an irritating presenter....
... not the sort of person who uses one word when a thousand will do just as well .

His interviewing " technique " doesn't work on Richard Stallman though .... :mrgreen:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Don't see any extensions other than the ones I installed myself.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

It's a blunder from Mozilla, but they've corrected it already. It's not likely they'll make the same kind of blunder again.... :mrgreen:

So: storm in a teacup, folks. Water under the bridge. I for one will keep on using Firefox happily.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Pjotr wrote:... I for one will keep on using Firefox happily.
I will continue using it but with the memory of their antics :shock:
Faust

Post by Faust »

Are we talking about continuing to trust Mozilla implicitly , after what they have done recently ?

There are some valid points in that tedious Lunduke presentation that Mozilla simply must address .
Where do their priorities lie ?
With their users , or with the revenue stream ?
The constant " head in the sand " attitude is not an acceptable option .

And yes .... I have been a long term user of Firefox for many years , and I love(d) it .
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Faust wrote:Are we talking about continuing to trust Mozilla implicitly , after what they have done recently ?
It's going to have to be "Trust, but verify"!
dark

Post by dark »

Have been long time Firefox user, was a loyal Firefox user since 2008 but made the switch to Waterfox due to recent trust breaking events with Mozilla after watching Bryan Lunduke's video. Also cuz i don't like the whole telemetry/data collection stuff in Firefox. Waterfox has telemetry/data collection stuff removed and some other things listed in Features on their website.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

dark wrote:Have been long time Firefox user, was a loyal Firefox user since 2008 but made the switch to Waterfox due to recent trust breaking events with Mozilla after watching Bryan Lunduke's video. Also cuz i don't like the whole telemetry/data collection stuff in Firefox. Waterfox has telemetry/data collection stuff removed and some other things listed in Features on their website.
Yeah, but how about security?

Only the big browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Opera) get the proper security audits and regular security updates required on today's dangerous web. The small browsers, no matter how sympathetic, simply lack the dev manpower to provide the same level of security.
dark

Post by dark »

Pjotr wrote:
dark wrote:Have been long time Firefox user, was a loyal Firefox user since 2008 but made the switch to Waterfox due to recent trust breaking events with Mozilla after watching Bryan Lunduke's video. Also cuz i don't like the whole telemetry/data collection stuff in Firefox. Waterfox has telemetry/data collection stuff removed and some other things listed in Features on their website.
Yeah, but how about security?

Only the big browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Opera) get the proper security audits and regular security updates required on today's dangerous web. The small browsers, no matter how sympathetic, simply lack the dev manpower to provide the same level of security.
Waterfox has security patches and bug fixes ported from Firefox 57.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/blog/wa ... e-download
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

dark wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Yeah, but how about security?

Waterfox has security patches and bug fixes ported from Firefox 57.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/blog/wa ... e-download
OK, but how about the continuity of those security patches? Given the size of the dev team.... The timeliness of security patches for your web browser, isn't to be taken lightly. It's under almost constant attack.

That's why I only trust the Big Four to be secure enough. You can take chances with your text editor or photo application, but not with your web browser. :mrgreen:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

jimallyn wrote: I put up with 7 minutes and 15 seconds of it, and he still hadn't got to the point.
Mozilla installed a "Mr Robot" addon without telling people.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/16/167 ... king-glass
(Edit: I don't like watching videos of people talking - too slow)

The other day I did the "about:config",
searched for "http"
and blanked out ALL the values with "http" in the (value) strings.

So no addon for me, and so far everything works fine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...i've been using Firefox since v0.9.1, aka since 2004. 13 years in a row without any interruption. A rather 'loyal' user if you will...
I've never used Chrome / Chromium except for something like say 10-15 mins to see what it's all about.
I do have used Opera in the past as a 'back-up' option, in case some page wasn't rendering correctly...

Up until few years ago, it used to be kinda of:
open about:config, tweak 10-12 values for extra privacy, and maybe say another 5-6 for extra speed.
Nowadays i've literally lost count of how many hundreds of parameters someone has to further tweak to maintain a certain level of privacy. I'm certainly not the only one, see here and here...

Earlier this year, the google-analytics fiasco...now, the mr.Robot ads...do I trust them anymore? Nope, not really.
Still though, Pjotr is 200% right on that: only the 'big ones' get extensive security audits & in a proper timely manner.
Faust

Post by Faust »

aes2011 wrote: It's going to have to be "Trust, but verify"!
Not for me it's not .
It's going to be verify as the first priority , and trust thereafter on a day-by-day basis .

The "Oops , we screwed up " story just doesn't ring true .
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

dark wrote:Watch Bryan Lunduke video to know why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMALm1VthGY

I have switched to Waterfox.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org/
I agree with you. I think that Linux Mint should start including Waterfox in the repositories. What method are you installing Waterfox? Currently I've been using a PPA method. Which I have heard is not always the most secure way of doing things. So far so good.

My current install method:

To install waterfox: Add repository and gpg key from: https://github.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb
then do:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install waterfox

Unfortunately some people don't have a long attention span to watch long videos. Personally I listen to videos like this while I clean toilets etc. lol At least Bryan does get to the point eventually. :)
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

jimallyn wrote:
I totally agree. I do like Brian Lunduke but he pretty much made a career out of drawing out a paragraph. He'll take a page of material and turn it into an hour long speech.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”