Make GIMP PDF friendly!

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Make GIMP PDF friendly!

Post by flatiron »

Make GIMP just open up PDF's like they would be opened in a PDF viewer and allow whatever drawing I want. That would be a mod worth having!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Make GIMP PDF friendly!

Post by Moem »

You should be making that suggestion to whoever makes GIMP. As stated by the red text at the top of the page:
Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Okay. Then make a PDF viewer that allows me to write and highlight on the PDF.

I tried contacting GIMP. It is too much of a PITA.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Go ahead and make that PDF viewer, just the way you want it. No one is stopping you.
The best way to make stuff happen in open source is not to try and order people around... the best way is to do it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

flatiron wrote:Okay. Then make a PDF viewer that allows me to write and highlight on the PDF.
Take a look at MasterPDF Editor. As the name implies it is a PDF editor, and it has a very nice set of editing and annotating tools. It is nimble enough to be used as a PDF viewer. It is proprietary software, but free for non-commercial use. Download the .deb from the website. https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

BenTrabetere wrote:Download the .deb from the website. https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/
I suggested that to him yesterday, but instead of trying that, he responded with:
I would prefer something from the app store thing on Mint instead of somewhere I don't know of. How can something this simple and necessary be avoided on MINT?
Maybe at some point he will decide to try the solutions he has been offered, as opposed to just starting yet another rant on the subject. There doesn't seem to be anything any of us can do to help him when he ignores the suggestions he has been offered.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

If it was legit it would be in the app store. And as for why I am bossing other people to do it, that is what the suggestions and ideas forum is for. Demanding new things be implemented. Although it still baffles me as to why this has yet to be implemented since it is such a basic and common thing to draw and highlight on PDF documents.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

flatiron wrote:If it was legit it would be in the app store. And as for why I am bossing other people to do it, that is what the suggestions and ideas forum is for. Demanding new things be implemented. Although it still baffles me as to why this has yet to be implemented since it is such a basic and common thing to draw and highlight on PDF documents.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

It's a commercial product (which just happens to be free of charge for non-commercial use) so legit or not it's not going to make the repos. The repos which feed Mint's app store are with the exception of some essential codecs/drivers etc are strictly open-source software only.

it is legit and frequently recommended - https://itsfoss.com/pdf-editors-linux/ - this link also suggests a few other options that are in the store - Libre-Office Draw.

BTW I'd suggest that the suggestion & ideas forum is the place to suggest new things to be implemented rather than demand :wink:
Demanding things from folks who provide their time and expertise for free rarely goes down well.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

flatiron wrote:If it was legit it would be in the app store.
As I mentioned and smurphos pointed out, MasterPDF Editor is proprietary (read Commercial) software, so it cannot and will not appear in Software Manager. And while the 'do not install software outside of Software Manager' is good advice and practice, sometimes it is unavoidable. For me, MasterPDF Editor is one of those unavoidable exceptions.

The question is not whether an outside-the-repos software is legitimate, but whether the source can be trusted. I consider Code Industry to be trustworthy; otherwise, I would not use or recommend its products.

If you do not want to stray from Software Manager, maybe Okular will satisfy your needs. It is a PDF viewer with a basic set of editing tools. It is a nice program. I like, use and recommend it. I think MasterPDF Editor is a better suited for editing PDFs.
Although it still baffles me as to why this has yet to be implemented since it is such a basic and common thing to draw and highlight on PDF documents.
Why? Seriously, why? GIMP is an IMAGE editing application, not a PDF editor. Just because it can read and write PDFs does not make it well suited for using it that way. A chainsaw can be used to cut plywood....

It is nice that GIMP can work with PDFs; to expect it to do what you expect is, well, a lot like fitting a guide bracket on a chainsaw to cut straight lines on a sheet of plywood. Pick the right tool for the job.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

flatiron wrote:If it was legit it would be in the app store. And as for why I am bossing other people to do it, that is what the suggestions and ideas forum is for. Demanding new things be implemented. Although it still baffles me as to why this has yet to be implemented since it is such a basic and common thing to draw and highlight on PDF documents.
Wow! I'd like to live on the planet you do where you feel that the suggestions and ideas are a place to boss other people to do things. Here on the planet I live on, we ask people to consider a change.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

JerryF wrote:Here on the planet I live on, we ask people to consider a change.
We also don't assume that everything that isn't in the repos is automatically illegitimate.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

flatiron wrote:And as for why I am bossing other people to do it, that is what the suggestions and ideas forum is for. Demanding new things be implemented.
OK then, flatiron, since we're in the Suggestions & New Ideas forum, where we make demands on others, I am demanding that you do it yourself. All the source code is available, the licensing terms allow you to make changes in it. Oh, and please make it snappy. We have people here who are tired of waiting for volunteers to bow to their every wish and command. But seriously, you know the old saying: you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

You make too much out of nothing.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

flatiron wrote:You make too much out of nothing.
After a re-read of the op I am inclined to agree,
and the rest of this thread is much to do about nothing at all
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron »

Are you being sarcastic? It is hard to tell with nothing but typing to communicate.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”