Drag and drop icons freely between desktop, start menu and quick launch panel

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
sloneorzeszki

Drag and drop icons freely between desktop, start menu and quick launch panel

Post by sloneorzeszki »

I've been using Linux Mint for the past year (dual boot with Windows) and am planning on moving 100% to Linux. For the past few days I've been polishing my setup and on multiple occasions noticed that there is no simple way of adding an element to either menu start/quick launch.

Scenario 1: I downloaded a piece of software, which I then put in /opt. I wanted to have it in my quick launch panel and found info that the easiest way to do it is to put it in start menu and from there 'add to panel'. No problem for me, as I was about to do it anyway, but it felt a bit off that in order to do such a simple task I had to open a dedicated application (alacarte), add a new item there, select an icon separately, and then write a command to run the app. I feel like I should be able to achieve that with just a simple drag-and-drop.

Scenario 2: I have an icon on desktop. I can't drag and drop it in quick launch nor start menu.

I think the user should be able to drag and drop an icon/shortcut:
- from desktop to start menu (and vice versa)
- from desktop to quick launch panel (and vice versa)
- from start menu to quick launch panel (and vice versa)

I appreciate all the work you do guys, I just think these functionalities would significantly improve the feel that Linux Mint gives me (and not only me) as a user.
Pigeon

Re: Drag and drop icons freely between desktop, start menu and quick launch panel

Post by Pigeon »

This is good idea. +1 dragging and dropping icons

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”