Software Manager should warn users about proprietary software

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Pigeon

Software Manager should warn users about proprietary software

Post by Pigeon »

It's hard to distinguish which software is proprietary (can hurt user's freedom) and which is not. Even more, software manager shows proprietary software as a cool thing, that you should install and there is flathub, where free/libre apps are mixed with non-free. I think proprietary software should be visibly marked in software manager, so users can be aware what software are they using, and know the consequences, for example loss of privacy.
warning.png
Oooorrr we can add skype, visual code studio, office and other M$ programs, so it can take over free software and kill it. *Richard Stallman crying*
Last edited by Pigeon on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Software Manager should warn users about proprietary software

Post by orschiro »

I think that if you mark them explicitly as proprietary, you should also clearly state alternatives. Otherwise, what's the merit of knowing that they are proprietary if the manager doesn't tell me about alternatives.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

Maybe it could implement the osalt.com lists or so:
[softwarename] is proprietary software, i.e. it does not make its source available under a FOSS license (GPL3, MIT, ...). Using proprietary software has some disadvantages such as [...]. Click here if you need more information. There might be free alternatives to [softwarename] such as:
Be aware that using non-FOSS software not automatically results in "loss of privacy" but that there is a considerable risk due to the lack of assessability.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Otherwise, what's the merit of knowing that they are proprietary if the manager doesn't tell me about alternatives.
That they possibly derive your freedom?
Not everyone considers the existence (or not) of so-called 'alternatives' as much important as you do.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

+1 for marking as proprietary and displaying alternatives.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

thx-1138 wrote: Not everyone considers the existence (or not) of so-called 'alternatives' as much important as you do.
+1
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

Displaying alternatives is also a good idea! +1
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I think it's a great idea to make it clearer which software is proprietary, and I don't think it's necessary per se to point out alternatives. It would be nice, for sure, but in my eyes the first thing does not hinge on the second.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I suspect very few users care if a piece of software is proprietary, and those that do are well informed on which few of the apps in the store are as such.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”