Allow Update Manager to remove several old kernels

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Bender72
Level 1
Level 1

Allow Update Manager to remove several old kernels

Post by Bender72 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:03 pm

It would be very convenient if several old kernels could be removed at the same time in Update Manager. Currently, Update Manager can only remove one at a time, and each time requires one to re-enter the root password.

I'm aware that there are already ways to do this:

viewtopic.php?t=234076
viewtopic.php?t=238519

but my point is usability. Kernels pile up over time, so wanting to remove several old ones is probably the most common use case, not the exception. Update Manager / Linux Kernels is the obvious place to look for this functionality because Update Manager is where you install new kernels.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Allow Update Manager to remove several old kernels

Post by MintBean » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Got to second this one. Would be a massive improvement and addresses a use case I suspect many will encounter.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Good idea. In the meantime, you can use this method:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... one-stroke
(item 7.1, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by karlchen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Of course, I will not object to improving Update Manager.

Yet, seems a bit as if not everyone is aware that already today, using Synaptic Package Manager, you can mark the kernel packages which you wish to uninstall and select "complete removal (purge)". In one go, password requested only once, before Synaptic is launched with root privileges.

This is what I have been doing since the times of Karmic Koala.
Whenever the number of installed kernels had grown to 6 or more, I have marked all the packages which belonged to the oldest 3 or 4 kernels and removed them from inside Synaptic Package Manager. Sample below.

(Click screenshot to enlarge. Press <alt><cursor left> to return here.)
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

DGMurdockIII
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DGMurdockIII » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:35 pm

This would be good if the update man is could do this

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Not to be a trouble maker but I would not be so quick to remove old kernels - for sure leave the last one prior to the updated one. IMHO it is probably a good thing not to make it so easy to remove old kernels in the update manager. I do get it that having an inordinate number of kernels takes some space. I often have six or so with no impact on performance or memory space issues.

Over a year or so ago I went through a an exercise to "clean up" my system to see how much space I would gain and if i would notice any performance gain. I cleaned out thumbnail cache, empty the trash, got rid of old kernels, cleaned out /tmp and /.cache in my home dir maybe a few other items that I looked into. The results were less than startling - I can't recall how much space I reclaimed but it maybe a few hundred KB - basically nothing. And no performance gain at all - nada, none. So why bother except for every few months just because . . . .?

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm

How about leaving the last two working kernels, in addition to the current one, then when installing a new one, remove the oldest? That way you would always only have three installed kernels. (I don't understand why anyone would let them pile up so much.) :?:

But to be on topic, I do agree it would be an improvement if the Update Manager could remove more than one at a time.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 pm

karlchen wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm
Yet, seems a bit as if not everyone is aware that already today, using Synaptic Package Manager, you can mark the kernel packages which you wish to uninstall and select "complete removal (purge)".
I do that, but it's not as simple as it should be.

For example, to remove kernel 4.4.0-101 and the associated stuff, there is what - 3, 4 packages? You see in your picture that the 4.4.0-101 packages are spread around. So you search for "4.4.0-101" and remove those.

So --> It'd be nice if there were a "meta" package for each kernel.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”