I think that linux need to start the S.O. with Num Lock enabled by default

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
re4397

I think that linux need to start the S.O. with Num Lock enabled by default

Post by re4397 »

I think that linux need to start the S.O. with Num Lock enabled by default. numlockx library need to be installed by default
Justin_Maxwell

Re: I think that linux need to start the S.O. with Num Lock enabled by default

Post by Justin_Maxwell »

This is what I was coming here to say.

Primarily, numlockx should be part of the base distribution. I can't fathom why it's not.

And then it would make sense to default numlock on in the login screen settings.

Currently, for a subset of users, just logging on becomes a major headache. For newcomers it must be seriously off-putting.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I don't see numlock as an issue. I have it set in BIOS and never find it is an issue. Can you not enable numlock as a default in your BIOS?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that's True - - Num Lock is generally Enabled or Disabled - - in the PCs BIOS . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

NumLock is fine with me on a desktop keyboard, but I recently installed a distro on one of my laptops that defaulted to NumLock on, had quite the time logging in until I realized what was happening. I for one, have no use for NumLock on a laptop keyboard that does not have a separate number pad.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Neil Edmond wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 am NumLock is fine with me on a desktop keyboard, but I recently installed a distro on one of my laptops that defaulted to NumLock on, had quite the time logging in until I realized what was happening. I for one, have no use for NumLock on a laptop keyboard that does not have a separate number pad.
Which is why it is set in BIOS.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Pierre wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 am that's True - - Num Lock is generally Enabled or Disabled - - in the PCs BIOS . . .
This does not work on every hardware. For me I have in BIOS numlock set to on (as I can see with the behavior of the numeric keypad in the grub menu), but in the login screen and in the desktop numlock is off.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pierre wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 am that's True - - Num Lock is generally Enabled or Disabled - - in the PCs BIOS . . .
My daughter's new Win10 ACER laptop does NOT allow you to set numlockx ON by default.
she is using Win10, but I mention this because I looked in her BIOS and the setting is not there.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Neil Edmond wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 am NumLock is fine with me on a desktop keyboard, but I recently installed a distro on one of my laptops that defaulted to NumLock on, had quite the time logging in until I realized what was happening. I for one, have no use for NumLock on a laptop keyboard that does not have a separate number pad.
NumLock "on" by default, is indeed disastrous on laptops that have no separate numeric pad, but only a "hidden" one that can be enabled by an Fn key combination, and which eats up half of your normal keys then. :shock:

Stuff like that can drive you crazy, before you figure out what the h*** is going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

So dear devs, please keep the NumLock situation as it is now, i.e. disabled by default.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”