Please keep it simple including the upgrades

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
SwanRider

Please keep it simple including the upgrades

Post by SwanRider »

I am sorry if this is not really a suggestion or a new idea, or if this is even in the correct place so I will get told off for placing it here. I read many of the posts on the forum and they go way over my head. To be honest all I am interested in that Mint continues to be easy to use, particularly for older or less techie peeps like myself and my wife. The more it gets complicated the harder it becomes to use and I think it is the very ease of use that makes Mint great and why I have encouraged my friends and family to use it and they are doing. Now fair enough there are peeps who want additional things - all the whistles and bells so to speak, but then there are many others who just want a simple system that we can get on the internet, use the email play some games and have an office suite and to be able to put our photos on and keep them safe.
So please can we keep it this way and all the additional things be part of it, but not the main part if you understand me - so pretty much as it is now and not changed greatly as like windows did after windows 7 and left us oldies totally confused . Thank you
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Please keep it simple including the upgrades

Post by Pjotr »

No worries.... As far as the basic user experience is concerned, Mint is reassuringly conservative and has been consistently so since its inception. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 am No worries.... As far as the basic user experience is concerned, Mint is reassuringly conservative and has been consistently so since its inception. :wink:
Thank you and I agree with you about hibernation - that I have never understood and hope it is removed :D
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

to remove hibernation in the terminal command...just in case you havent done this already as i have because i do not use it either...DAMIEN

Disable Hibernation...(copy and paste into terminal)

Code: Select all

sudo mv -v /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla /
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm to remove hibernation in the terminal command...just in case you havent done this already as i have because i do not use it either...DAMIEN

Disable Hibernation...(copy and paste into terminal)

Code: Select all

sudo mv -v /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla /
Thank you I have already done this, thanks to Pjor's excellent tips. I was just agreeing with him that really it is not needed - I have never used it and I don't know of anyone who has.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You started off with something I could get behind; to paraphrase 'do not introduce complication for complication's sake and keep advanced functionality optional.' Once you went on to 'I wish they would remove hibernate' you lost me. That's useful functionality for a lot of people and that button really isn't doing anybody any harm. Gnome is a great desktop if you want functionality stripped to the bare minimum. They regularly remove features.
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

MintBean wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am You started off with something I could get behind; to paraphrase 'do not introduce complication for complication's sake and keep advanced functionality optional.' Once you went on to 'I wish they would remove hibernate' you lost me. That's useful functionality for a lot of people and that button really isn't doing anybody any harm. Gnome is a great desktop if you want functionality stripped to the bare minimum. They regularly remove features.
I am happy with Mint. I have never used hibernation no matter what OS I have used nor has anyone I know used it - I have only ever used to screen saver as I said - I happen to agree that it shouldn't be there by default, but something that can be added by those who want it. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my point.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”