GUI-based Search for Cinnamon Built-in

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

GUI-based Search for Cinnamon Built-in

Post by That Random Guy »

The title doesn't describe quite accurately what I would like to see, but basically, I want some kind of feature where I type into a search box of some kind (implemented via the DE) that allows me to search for files, folders, and etc.

I've noticed that there's no search shortcut in the keyboard shortcut menu and I'm assuming that's because we're given the choice to choose our utility for that particular thing (e.g. ANGRY Search, Tracker, FSearch, etc.).

Instead of relying on some third party (or having to search for one), I think it would nice to somehow get that working in Cinnamon. Not that there's anything wrong with using 3rd party... as this is Linux, of course.

The menu on the panel has a search box but only searches for the items found on that menu. I'd like to think it could be modified to also index files and such on the system.

If that doesn't seem desirable, then I'm sure someone could come up with a better idea than I could. :)

Anyway, that's my "idea" for what could be worked on. Not a major issue, but something I would definitely find utility in.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: GUI-based Search for Cinnamon Built-in

Post by austin.texas »

catfish and gnome-search-tool are both in the repository, and both are useful.

Gnome Search Tool
gnomesearch.png
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

That Random Guy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 pmI've noticed that there's no search shortcut in the keyboard shortcut menu and I'm assuming that's because....
You could create a keyboard shortcut for Catfish, ANGRYsearch, etc.

My keyboard has shortcuts assigned to the F-keys - pressing Fn+F3 opens the standard Search window. I assigned Fn+Alt+F3 to open Catfish and Fn+Ctrl+F3 to open ANGRYsearch - I use MATE, and I am almost positive you can do the same in Cinnamon.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Yep.

Thanks folks, but I was more interested in having something built into Cinnamon directly. Something that the DE can utilize.

I suppose the basic references could be Ubuntu's Dash or GNOME's equivalent—where when certain actions are taken, an overlay is displayed on the screen along with the search box as a focus. This is in effect, a way to get a system-wide search using the DE.

I'm not particularly asking for something exactly like either of those and would be satisfied with an implementation that mimics Windows. For example, having the search bar somewhere on the start/panel menu or associated location.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the utility of the previously mentioned third-party front-end apps, but my issue with those is that they open an instance for themselves whenever I need something found. I'd rather just have the DE allow me to search for something and once I find it, that's it. I shouldn't have to close out of anything to get to my particular resource.

So far, I've discovered something relatively close to what I'm asking for but I'm not sure if it's compatible anymore.

The package in question is called Mutate. It's supposed to mimic some OSX utility which I can imagine is where Ubuntu got their influence from (of course, I haven't done my research. Feel free to correct me).

I tried adding the repo but the error I received was something along the lines of it not supporting xenial. Have no clue what that means.

EDIT:

Since Cinnamon's panel menu already has a search box entwined within it, I could foresee that being modified to support system-wide searches.

Just a dreamer, I suppose. :lol:
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

Turns out the thing I was looking for is known as a launcher. Lord knows why that term has multiple applications in the Linux community, but apparently that is what you would call Unity Dash.

I went ahead and installed Albert but I've been receiving some minor glitches here and there.

I feel euphoric when I think of how someday Cinnamon will have its own launcher to use for system-wide searching and things like that.

Cheers! :D
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Cinnamon does have the ability to load search_provider plug-ins that expand the abilities of the menu search bar. It's just not well documented or easy to do as is stands. I think the dev team see it as they've coded the capability and it's up to third party applet developers to run with it, develop more providers and make it easy for end-users to add and enable search-providers. Examples of things it can do - internet search with choice of search engine, file system search, repo search, calculations, i'm sure virtual assistant type abilities could be developed

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=263862
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Wow!

smurphos wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:30 am Cinnamon does have the ability to load search_provider plug-ins that expand the abilities of the menu search bar. It's just not well documented or easy to do as is stands. I think the dev team see it as they've coded the capability and it's up to third party applet developers to run with it, develop more providers and make it easy for end-users to add and enable search-providers. Examples of things it can do - internet search with choice of search engine, file system search, repo search, calculations, i'm sure virtual assistant type abilities could be developed

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=263862
I had no idea! Thanks for the tip. :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”