Improve "battery critically low" message on Cinnamon

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
NaBUru38

Improve "battery critically low" message on Cinnamon

Post by NaBUru38 »

Hello, I have Linux Mint 18.2 with Cinnamon 3.4.
The "battery critically low" message is a small alert box on the corner of the screen.
Therefore, I often miss it, so the computer shuts down before I realise of the problem.

!
linux mint battery low q.jpeg
Can you please change the alert message, putting it on the center of the screen, and with a proper font size? Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Improve "battery critically low" message on Cinnamon

Post by Cosmo. »

This is part of the notification system of Cinnamon, so a change would affect all notifications, which would be annoying.

I also do not quite understand the problem. At first as this message appears at first if there are only 20 % left. This should give enough time to connect the laptop with a power supply. Even 5 % are 5 % and do not mean, that the computer powers down immediately. Another point is, that this message appears on top of all open windows, so I cannot imagine, that they get overlooked - except you are currently not sitting in front of the monitor, but in this case also a more prominent display would not help. I also wonder, if your laptop does not have a led indicator, which also warns you (but it seems, that you miss this warning also).

Besides that choosing another theme might help. Obviously a bright notification window on a bright desktop background is sub optimal.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

You can turn sound effects on for notifications
NaBUru38

Post by NaBUru38 »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 am this message appears on top of all open windows, so I cannot imagine, that they get overlooked
Sure, it appear on top of everything. But the message has the same background color as the menus of Firefox, Kate or Nemo. I really don't notice it.
Cosmo. wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 am At first as this message appears at first if there are only 20 % left. This should give enough time to connect the laptop with a power supply.
There's plenty of time, that's not the problem.
Cosmo. wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 am This is part of the notification system of Cinnamon, so a change would affect all notifications, which would be annoying.
Of course I don't propose changing the whole notifications system. I just want a big 5% alert message on the center of the screen, like Ubuntu has.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

This applet can be downloaded from the applet module in Cinnamon Settings and may assist you - it adds back in an automatic suspend at a certain battery level so you don't lose your work if you don't pick up on the alerts. I haven't tested it through to seeing if it does actually automatically suspend but it's got good ratings and is kept updated so it's fairly safe to assume it does what it says on the tin. Note the dependencies in the readme for full functionality

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/255
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

using a Darker background will help a lot, that background looks like you are watching a tv set.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
newNono

Post by newNono »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 am Another point is, that this message appears on top of all open windows, so I cannot imagine, that they get overlooked
Hi everyone.

For my part, no message appear when I'm watching a movie in full screen.
Is there a way to display notification in front of everything?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I think that this is intended for full screen replay and not changeable. But you should see after leaving full screen mode in the panel the notification applet, from where you can open the the notification (if it was not a temporary notification, e. g. for mounting a partition or drive).
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Turning on the notification sound may also assist - in the sound settings.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”