Boot crash when disk is full - report bug

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
canay
Level 1
Level 1

Boot crash when disk is full - report bug

Post by canay » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:28 am

Hello,

I would like to share my experience of boot crash when the disk is full (0 Mo free on disk):

(It is a reported bug)
After a system update (that have fulled my disk /), i reboot the machine and the session don't appear. there's a black screen. To workaround this, i do "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "F2" combination and log to console with root user. then i launch "startx" and after that i can free disk space. When there's enough space on the system disk, i reboot the machine and all gets OK.

I got this issue on 2 different machine on Linux Mint KDE version Sylvia 18.3. The problem is because standard user doesn't have right on /tmp/.lock file to remove it when the disk is full.

Maybe the Linux Mint's Staff could resolve it for later version ? or maybe is Linux kernel's Staff ?

Thank you (and sorry for my english)

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Boot crash when disk is full - report bug

Post by catweazel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:09 am

canay wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:28 am
I would like to share my experience of boot crash when the disk is full (0 Mo free on disk):
You probably have far too many old kernels hanging around. Start Update Manager and select Linux kernels from the View menu. Delete any old ones you no longer need. Probably you want to keep the latest and the one before that just in case.
Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”