Boot crash when disk is full - report bug

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
canay

Boot crash when disk is full - report bug

Post by canay »

Hello,

I would like to share my experience of boot crash when the disk is full (0 Mo free on disk):

(It is a reported bug)
After a system update (that have fulled my disk /), i reboot the machine and the session don't appear. there's a black screen. To workaround this, i do "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "F2" combination and log to console with root user. then i launch "startx" and after that i can free disk space. When there's enough space on the system disk, i reboot the machine and all gets OK.

I got this issue on 2 different machine on Linux Mint KDE version Sylvia 18.3. The problem is because standard user doesn't have right on /tmp/.lock file to remove it when the disk is full.

Maybe the Linux Mint's Staff could resolve it for later version ? or maybe is Linux kernel's Staff ?

Thank you (and sorry for my english)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Boot crash when disk is full - report bug

Post by catweazel »

canay wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:28 am I would like to share my experience of boot crash when the disk is full (0 Mo free on disk):
You probably have far too many old kernels hanging around. Start Update Manager and select Linux kernels from the View menu. Delete any old ones you no longer need. Probably you want to keep the latest and the one before that just in case.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”